Ken BelcherProfessor, Department of Bioresource Policy, Business and Economics, College of Agriculture and Bioresources
Professor, School of Environment and Sustainability
- Doctor of Philosophy in Resource and Environmental Economics, University of Saskatchewan
- Master of Natural Resources Management, University of Manitoba
- Bachelor of Science and Agriculture in Animal Science, University of Manitoba
Ecological economics; resource and environmental economics; environmental policy; climate change; wetland and wildlife conservation policy
- Targeting of Canadian Agri-Environmental Policy
- Off-site benefits of water quality improvements caused by adoption of agricultural best management practices
- Value of ecosystem goods and services provided by the Saskatchewan River Delta
- Value of parks and protected areas to remote communities
- Institutions and wildlife governance on agricultural landscapes
- Policy Development to Support the Provision of Carbon Sequestration and Other Ecosystem Services Through Sustainable Management of Livestock Grazing of the Grassland Ecosystems – Saskatchewan Cattleman’s Association (September 2014 – August 2016).
- Targeting of Agricultural Beneficial Management Practices to Address Nutrient Runoff in Manitoba – Agriculture and Agri-Food Canada (September 2014 – June 2016)
- Economic and Environmental Benefits of Agricultural Beneficial Management Practices in the South Tobacco Creek Watershed – Agriculture and Agri-Food Canada (September 2014 – June 2016)
- Baird, J., K. Belcher, and M. Quinn. 2014. Applications of Water Economics and Policy in Canada. Canadian Water Resource Journal. 39(4):421-436.
- Richards, G., K. Belcher, and B. Noble, 2013. Informational Barriers to Effective Policy-Public Communication: A Case Study of Wind Energy Planning in Saskatchewan, Canada. Canadian Public Policy. 39(3):431-450.
- Richards, G., B. Noble and K. Belcher. 2012. Barriers to renewable energy development: A case study of large-scale wind energy in Saskatchewan, Canada. Energy Policy.42:691-698.
- Smyth, S.J., M.Gusta, K. Belcher, P.W.B. Phillips and D. Castle. 2011. Changes in herbicide use following the adoption of HT canola in western Canada. Weed Technology. 25:492-500.
- Yu, J. and K. Belcher. 2011. An economic analysis of landowners’ willingness to adopt wetland and riparian conservation management. Canadian Journal of Agricultural Economics. 59:207-222.
- Smyth, S.J., M. Gusta, K. Belcher, P.W.B. Phillips and D. Castle. 2011. Environmental impacts from herbicide tolerant canola production in western Canada. Agricultural Systems. 104:403-410.
- Smyth, S.J., M. Gusta, D. Castle, P.W.B. Phillips, and K. Belcher. 2011. Economic benefits of genetically modified herbicide tolerant canola for producers. AgBioForum. 14(1):1-13.
- Neuman, A.D. and K.W. Belcher. 2011. The contribution of carbon-based payments to wetland conservation compensation on agricultural landscapes. Agricultural Systems. 104(1):75-81.
- Khakbazan, M., C. Hamilton, A. Moulin, Belcher K., R. Mohr, K. Volkmar, and D. Tomasiewicz. 2009. Modeling economic and agro- environmental dynamics of potato production systems. Journal of Bioeconomics. 11:65-93.
- Warren, J., C. Lawson, and K.W. Belcher. 2008. The Agri-Environment. Cambridge University Press. Cambridge, UK.
- Belcher, K.W., A. Germann and J. Schmutz. 2007. Beef with environmental and quality attributes: preferences of environmental group and the general population consumers in Saskatchewan, Canada. Agriculture and Human Values. 24:333-342.
- Farnese, P.L. and K.W. Belcher. 2006. Wetlands in agricultural landscapes: a legal and policy context. Law Science and Policy. 3(1): 33-58.
- Samarawickrema, A.K. and K.W. Belcher. 2005. Net greenhouse gas emissions and the economics of annual crop management systems. Canadian Journal of Agricultural Economics. 53:385-401.
- Belcher, K.W. and J. Schmutz. 2005. Management of the prairie landscape through strategic consumer-producer co-operatives. Prairie Forum. 30(1):55-72.
- Belcher, K.W., J. Nolan and P.W.B. Phillips. 2005. Genetically modified crops and agricultural landscapes: spatial patterns of contamination. Ecological Economics. 53:387-401.
- Belcher, K.W., M.M. Boehm, and M.E. Fulton. 2004. Agroecosystem sustainability: A system simulation model approach. Agricultural Systems. 79:225-241.
- Belcher, K.W, M.M. Boehm and M. Fulton. 2003. An agroecosystem scale evaluation of the sustainability implications of carbon tax and carbon credit policies. Journal of Sustainable Agriculture. 22(2): 75-97.
- Belcher, K.W, A.L. Hobbs, and W.A. Kerr. 2003. The WTO and environmental sustainability: is there a conflict? International Journal of Environment and Sustainable Development. 2(1):2-18.
- ENVS 808.3 - Tools and Applications for Sustainability Problem-Solving
- BPBE 430.3 - Intermediate Agricultural and Resource Economics
- RRM 114.3 - Introductory Resource Economics and Policy