Toddi SteelmanExecutive Director and Professor, School of Environment and Sustainability
- Doctor of Philosophy in Environmental and Natural Resource Policy, Duke University
- Master of Public Affairs in Domestic Public Policy, Princeton University
- Bachelor of Arts in International Studies and Political Science, West Virginia University
Environmental and natural resource governance; public and community decision-making; the interface between science, policy and decision-making; climate change adaptation; disaster-resilient communities; risk and crisis communication; wildfire preparedness
- 2012. Steelman, Toddi and Branda Nowell. Joint Fire Science Award. $360,000.
- 2012. Steelman, Toddi and Branda Nowell. National Science Foundation Award. $350,000.
- 2011. Steelman, Toddi. Texas A & M University/Department of Defense. $167,000.
- 2011. Steelman, Toddi, and Branda Nowell. United States Forest Service Joint Research Venture Agreement. $124,667.
- 2010. Steelman, Toddi, Joe Roise, Susan Moore, and Hugh Devine. Joint Fire Science Award. $125,218.
- 2010. Steelman, Toddi, and Kathryn Reis. US Geological Survey/US Fish and Wildlife Service. $16,982.
- 2009. Steelman, Toddi, Susan Moore, Fred Cubbage, and Gary Blank. Environmental Protection Agency. $750,000.
- 2011 - College of Natural Resources Outstanding Teacher Award, North Carolina State University
- 2009 - Distinguished Departmental Alumni Award, West Virginia University.
- Steelman, Toddi and Sarah McCaffrey. 2011. “What is Limiting More Flexible Fire Management – Public or Agency Pressure?” Journal of Forestry, Vol. 109 (8): 454-461.
- Clark, S.G. M.B. Rutherford, M.R. Auer, D.N. Cherney, R.L. Wallace, D.J. Mattson, D.A. Clark, L. Foote, N. Krogman, P. Wilshusen, and T. Steelman. 2011. College and University Environmental Programs as a Policy Problem (Part 1): Integrating Knowledge, Education, and Action for a Better World? Environmental Management, Vol. 47: 5: 701-715.
- Clark, Susan G. M.B. Rutherford, M.R. Auer, D.N. Cherney, R.L. Wallace, D.J. Mattson, D.A. Clark, L. Foote, N. Krogman, P. Wilshusen, and T. Steelman. 2011. College and University Environmental Programs as a Policy Problem (Part 2): Integrating Knowledge, Education, and Action for a Better World?Environmental Management, Vol. 47: 5: 716-726.
- Steelman, Toddi A. and George Hess. 2009. “Effective Protection of Open Space: How Does Planning Matter?” Environmental Management, Vol. 44:1: 93-104.
- Miller, J. , M. Groom, G. Hess, Steelman, T.A., D. Stokes, J. Thompson, B. King, R. Marquet and Troy Bowman. 2009. “Biodiversity Conservation in Local Planning” Conservation Biology, 23(1):53-63.
- Thompson, J.R., G.R. Hess, T.A. Bowman, H. Magnusdottir, C.E. Stubbs-Gipson, M. Groom, J.R. Miller, T. A. Steelman, & D. L. Stokes. 2009. “Courses Without Borders®: Collaborative Graduate Education Across Multiple Campuses”, Journal of Natural Resources and Life Sciences Education, 38:16-26.
- Steelman, Toddi A. and Melissa DuMond*. 2009. “Serving the Common Interest in Forest Policy: Lessons from the Healthy Forests Restoration Act”. Environmental Management, 43: 396-410.
- Steelman, Toddi A. 2010. Implementing Innovation: Fostering Enduring Change in Environmental and Natural Resource Governance. Washington, D.C.: Georgetown University Press.
- Ascher, William, Toddi Steelman and Robert Healy. 2010. Knowledge in the Environmental Policy Process: Reimagining the Role for Science and Politics. Cambridge, MA: MIT Press.
- Hess, G.R., G. Blank, P. Clayton, J. Connors, K. Holcombe, J. Ramsey, K. Reis, C. Snow, T. Steelman, & J. Wallace. 2010. Perspectives on Partnership Evolution: From Passionate People to Committed Organizations. Chapter 18 in Harter, L., J. Hamel-Lambert, & J. Millesen. Case Studies in Community-Based Participatory Research. Kendall-Hunt.