Vladimir KricsfalusyAssociate Professor AP, MSEM program coordinator, School of Environment and Sustainability
Research Affiliate, Prairie Centre for the Study of Ukrainian Heritage, St. Thomas More College
- Doctor of Philosophy in Biology, Uzhgorod National University and the National Academy of Sciences of Ukraine, Kyiv
- Master of Science in Biology (Honours Diploma with major in Botany), Uzhgorod National University, Ukraine
Conservation biology; population biology and ecology; community ecology; restoration ecology; taxonomy
- 2011-2013. Population structure and ecology of sensitive plant species in relation to habitat characteristics in fescue grasslands. President's NSERC Fund, University of Saskatchewan. Principal Investigator.
- 2010-2012. Threat syndromes, biodiversity patterns and conservation of indigenous temperate grasslands. President's NSERC Fund, University of Saskatchewan. Principal Investigator.
- 2010-2011. Advancing biodiversity conservation and sustainable management in the Canadian prairies and Ukrainian steppes by enhancement of international research partnerships. International Development Research Centre (IDRC). Principal Investigator.
- 2002-2004. Wetlands and rivers: management and sustainable development of the Tisza area. TACIS Programme, European Union. National Coordinator for Ukraine.
- 2000-2003. Biodiversity conservation at the population-species-community levels in the Ukrainian Carpathians. Ministry of Education of Ukraine. Principal Investigator.
- 2001-2002. Carpathian upper mountain forests: management and conservation for promotion of sustainable regional development. Carpathian Foundation, Hungary. International Coordinator.
- 1997-1998. Designing a trans-boundary conservation wetland area in the Upper Tisza region. The Ramsar Grants Fund, Switzerland. Principal Investigator for Ukraine.
- 1996-1997. Biosystematics and population biology studies of threatened ephemeroid plant species in the Central-East Europe. Soros Foundation, USA. Principal Investigator.
- 1995-1996. Biodiversity conservation in Transcarpathia, Ukraine: threatened plant species and plant communities. The Systematics Association, UK. Principal Investigator.
- Diploma and Prize, Soros Foundation, USA
- Fellowship, Federal Ministry of Science and Research, Austria
- Diploma and Gold Medal, Academy of Sciences of the USSR
- Medal, Ministry of Higher Education of the USSR
- Medal, State Committee for Science and Technology of the USSR
- Malynovski K., Kricsfalusy V. 2002. Plant communities of the Ukrainian Carpathian highlands. Carpathian Tower Publishing, Uzhgorod, Ukraine. 244 pp. [In Ukrainian with English contents and summary].
- Kricsfalusy V., Ivaneha I., Lugovoj A. et al. 2001. Uzhansky National Nature Park. Povch Press, Uzhgorod, Ukraine. 120 pp. [In Ukrainian with English contents and summary].
- Kricsfalusy V., Budnikov G., Mihaly A. 1999. Red List of Transcarpathia: threatened plant species and plant communities. Zakarpattya Publishing, Uzhgorod, Ukraine. 196 pp.
- Kricsfalusy V., Mező-Kricsfalusy G. 1994. Population biology of plants. Uzhgorod University Press, Uzhgorod, Ukraine. 80 pp. [In Ukrainian with English contents and summary].
- Kricsfalusy V., Komendar V. 1990. Biology and ecology of rare species: a case study of ephemeroid plants in the Carpathians. Svit Press at Lvov University, Lvov, Ukraine. 160 pp. [In Russian with English summary and contents].
Journal articles and other papers
- Esparrago Llorka J., Kricsfalusy V. 2014. Urban conservation and habitat preferences of the prairie crocus in North America. Landscape and Urban Planning, (in press).
- Kricsfalusy V., Trevisian N. 2014. Prioritizing regionally rare plant species for conservation using herbarium data. Biodiversity and Conservation, 23: 39–61.
- Kricsfalusy V. 2013. Mountain grasslands of high conservation value in the Eastern Carpathians. Thaiszia Journal of Botany, 23(1): 63–112.
- Kricsfalusy V. 2012. Population dynamics. In: Craig R.K. et al. (Eds.). The encyclopedia of sustainability. Vol. 5: Ecosystem management and sustainability, p. 313-316. Berkshire Publishing, Great Barrington, MA.
- Kricsfalusy V., Miller G.C. 2010. Community ecology and invasion of natural vegetation by Cynanchum rossicum (Asclepiadaceae) in the Toronto region, Canada. Thaiszia Journal of Botany, 20(1): 53-70.
- Pankhurst H., Ursic K., Kricsfalusy V. 2010. Eastern prickly pear cactus (Opuntia humifusa ). Committee on the Status of Endangered Wildlife in Canada, Environment Canada, Ottawa, ON. 38 pp.
- Kricsfalusy V., Budnikov G. 2007. Threatened vascular plants in the Ukrainian Carpathians: current status, distribution and conservation. Thaiszia Journal of Botany, 17: 11-32.
- Labrana J., Machocho A., Kricsfalusy V. et al. 2002. Alkaloids from Narcissus angustifolius subsp. transcarpathicus (Amaryllidaceae). Phytochemistry, 60/8: 847-852.
- Mihaly A., Kricsfalusy V. 1997. Population biology and ecology of Crocus heuffelianus Herb. (Iridaceae) in Ukraine. Linzer biologische Beiträge, 29/2: 641-681.
- Kricsfalusy V., Shushman V., Saroz O. 1995. Biomorphological and ecocoenotic characteristic of Erythronium dens-canis (Liliaceae) in the Carpathians. Botanicheskii Zhurnal (Moscow & Leningrad), 80(9): 35-52. [In Russian with English summary].
- Kricsfalusy V., Vajnagi A. 1994. Biologie und Ökologia von Scilla kladnii Schur in Ostkarpaten. Linzer biologische Beiträge, 26(1): 1081-1111.
- ENVS 992.6: Project in Environment and Sustainability
- ENVS 806.3: Field Skills in Environment and Sustainability
- ENVS 822.02: Biodiversity Conservation and Sustainability
- ENVS 801.3: Ecosystem Science and Sustainability
- BIOL 410.3: Current Perspectives in Environmental Biology