Study Abroad and Transfer Students

Faculty-led Programs

For faculty proposing a University of Saskatchewan study abroad program with or without the use of an outside contractor, the following outlines key steps for developing a new program. The process should be initiated at least 18 months in advance of the proposed program start date.

Program Plan

The faculty and staff who are interested in offering a University of Saskatchewan course abroad should create a proposal to the appropriate division or department within their college. This proposal should include the following information:

  • Name and complete contact information of the faculty/staff members making the proposal
  • Course syllabus (learning objectives, participation expectations and assignments etc.)
  • A tentative itinerary
  • Explanation of how the location and local resources enhance the learning objectives of the course
  • Cooperating institutions abroad (if applicable)
  • Culturally orienting activities
  • Student selection process
  • A proposed budget (including instructors expenses, tuition revenue, student expenses and fees and payments to outside services providers

Course challenge

Once a program plan has been approved by the appropriate division or department, the proposed course will go through the University's Course Challenge. For more information about the course challenge, please contact the Office of the University Secretary.

Logistical Arrangements

Logistical arrangements are the responsibility of the faculty lead. Please begin preparing at least 12 months before the proposed program dates to allow sufficient time for planning, budgeting and bookings. Consider the following:

  • Will travel be done as a group or will participants meet at the final destination?
  • What support services are available on the ground? 
  • What facilities do students have access to and will they be sufficient for completing the assigned tasks?
  • Is there a partnership between the U of S and a local institution/service provider? If so, review all contracts carefully and make sure you understand the terms and conditions including liability.
  • Transportation and accommodation

Risk Assessment

The University of Saskatchewan has a duty of care for students abroad. Risk assessment is a crucial part of proper program planning. The International Student and Study Abroad Centre can be contacted for assistance in assessing both activity and site-specific risks and should be informed in all cases when international travel is associated with the university and involves U of S students. Staff and faculty are asked to create an emergency plan that includes at least the following components:

  • Travel dates and travel destination
  • U of S primary contact
  • Emergency contact in the destination country
  • Assessment of site and activity-specific risks
  • Suggested precautions and an emergency plan
  • Program-specific rules of conduct

Student Application and Selection

The student application process should take place at least 5 months prior to actual travel in order to allow sufficient time for proper preparation. A formal application process will support the viability of study abroad programs. Students should expect to complete some or all of the following requirements:

  • Application form (submitted by the application deadline)
  • Transcript
  • Participation prerequisites
  • Personal suitability 
  • References
  • Statement of purpose
  • Budget plan
  • Proof of language proficiency (if applicable)
  • Program fee and payment deadlines

Evaluation of Faculty-led Programs

Evaluation of faculty-led programs should take place after the program has ended and before a new program cycle begins. An evaluation process should include:

  • Academic content (including objectives and actual outcomes)
  • Student feedback
  • Development of intercultural competence
  • Logistical arrangements
  • Faculty feedback

For more information and assistance, please contact the International Student and Study Abroad Centre.

Travel Safety

As per the U of S policy, the International Student and Study Abroad Centre (ISSAC) must be notified of all university-approved international travel that involves student mobility. This includes but is not limited to all group travel, exchanges, study tours, internships, fieldwork, research, externships, conferences and seminars outside Canada.

The International Student and Study Abroad Centre assists faculty and staff with risk assessment and emergency planning, oversees the U of S pre-departure process, maintains the International Travel Registry, monitors international events and provides emergency assistance to students and faculty abroad.

Risk Assessment and Emergency Planning

Colleges, departments and supervisors providing or approving learning opportunities abroad should familiarize themselves with the Global Affairs Canada advisories to ensure that students do not travel to high-risk areas without thorough consideration and approval from the university. An exemption from the University's International Travel Risk Management Policy will be required before travel to high-risk areas can be allowed. At minimum, travel will not be allowed to destinations that fall under "Avoid all or non-essential travel" advisory.

Please complete the International Travel Safety Plan for all international travel that includes fieldwork, student groups and/or takes place in a high-risk area as per the Global Affairs Canada. This document forms the basis of your emergency plan should participants need assistance abroad. Contact ISSAC for assistance and submit a copy of the document to ISSAC at least 60 days prior to the departure by emailing it to It is also important to share the plan with all of those traveling abroad.

Pre-departure Requirements

Staff and faculty are responsible for notifying ISSAC of any upcoming international travel involving students by submitting a completed Trip Set Up form to ISSAC at least 30 days before the estimated trip departure date. Please send the completed form to All university-approved international travel is recorded on the university's emergency response database (International travel Registry). Once a trip has been set up, students and their trip leader(s) will receive an automated email with more instructions on how to access the registry and which requirements to complete.

In order to facilitate prompt response and support in the event of an emergency, students are required to provide certain information about themselves in the International Travel Registry. All provided information is strictly confidential.

Preparing students for university-related travel is a shared responsbility between ISSAC and the affiliated college or unit. Each student participating in a program abroad is required to complete a pre-departure organized by ISSAC. Pre-departure sessions can be provided in a variety of formats including on campus and via Blackboard. In cases of higher risk travel, an additional or extended pre-departure orientation will be required. 

It is the responsibility of the faculty coordinator, group leader or college supervisor to prepare and deliver a program-specific orientation that covers academic matters relative to the program, information about activity and site-specific risks and recommendations on how to avoid and prepare for them, information about cultural issues and logistical arrangements, an emergency plan and program-specific rules of conduct.

Emergency Assistance and Incident Reporting

If a student needs emergency assistance abroad, please contact Campus Safety 24/7 at +1306-966-5555. You may also contact the International Student and Study Abroad Centre during office hours (8:30 am - 4:30 pm CST). If there has been an incident abroad that has already been dealt with, please complete the Incident Report provided by Safety Resources and inform ISSAC.


For more information about International Travel Risk Management or the services provided by ISSAC, please contact

Policy: International Travel Risk Management for Student Mobility

Policy: Fieldwork and Associated Travel Safety

Guidelines for Vehicle Use Authorization and Related Taxable Benefits

International Travel Risk Management Procedures and Guidelines 

Exemption Request Criteria - Guidelines for Department Heads and Deans

Exemption Request Form

International Travel Safety Plan template

Student Exchange

The University of Saskatchewan is a signatory to bilateral and multilateral exchange agreements with many insitutions located in 22 different countries. The International Student and Study Abroad Centre (ISSAC) has developed a protocol for administering inbound and outbound student exchange and bilateral agreements signed on behalf of the institution reflect this protocol.

Generally students participating in the Student Exchange Program will register into the host institution's courses, which will be transferred back to the student's U of S degree program. Through the program, students will pay tuition (15 credit units) per term to the University of Saskatchewan and will receive a tuition waiver from the host insitution. Students will be expected to pay any other mandatory student fees to the host institution and will not be assessed student fees at the University of Saskatchewan. Although information regarding on-campus accommodations will be provided to all participants, students will be responsible for all travel and living arrangements. 

To participate in the Student Exchange Program, students must meet the eligibility requirements and submit an application to ISSAC by the application deadline date. View eligibility requirements and application.

Courses taken abroad are evaluated by the U of S college the student is admitted in. It is dependant on the college if the courses taken abroad are evaluated as transfer credit or will be evaluated into the student's CWA. To learn more about college-specific course evaluation models, please contact ISSAC.

If your department is considering entering into an exchange agreement, please consult with the International Student and Study Abroad Centre, which has developed templates for exchange agreements and which has general responsibility for coordinating inbound and outbound Student Exchange.

Incoming Students

In addition to degree programs, exchange programs and visiting student options, there are a number of short-term academic opportunities for international students to study and research at the University of Saskatchewan. These opportunities are organized independently from the U of S and often include scholarship and research components in addition to studying at the U of S. Some of the programs and organizations that send students and scholars to the U fo S include the Emerging Leaders in the Americas Program (ELAP), Sciece without Borders (SwB), Mitacs Globalinks, the Canada-CARICOM Scholarship Program and the Canada-Chile Leadership Exchange Scholarship Program.

For information on student eligibility, application processes, and procedures for these programs, visit the U of S website for International Students or refer to the program-specific websites.

Government of Canada Scholarship Programs

Government of Canada awards scholarships to international faculty, graduate and undergraduate students from selected countries to attend Canadian universities.

I want to bring a Visiting Research Student over. What do I do?

Visiting Research Students are here on short term research (less than 6 months) under a faculty supervisor. They require formal application and admittance to the U of S. The Visiting Research Student program is administered through the College of Graduate Studies and Research. Please visit their Visiting Research Student website for all forms and procedures.

What are the benefits?

  • Enhanced potential for research collaboration
  • Strengthen and expand existing international collaborations and formal partnerships
  • Access to highly qualified students
  • Identify and cultivate future graduate students

Transfer Students

Transfer Credits

At least 20% of our students come to us with some prior post-secondary studies, or spend a year or a summer at another University in Canada or abroad working towards their University of Saskatchewan degree. In Admissions, transfer credit staff (domestic and international) evaluate their records and translate their classes into University of Saskatchewan credits based on research, precedent, transfer credit agreements, and advice from Departments and Colleges. We have amassed a considerable library of reference materials, but we do rely strongly on Departmental advice, particularly for assessing credit from technical institutes, bible Colleges and other non-University studies. 

Letters of Permission

Letters of permission are issued by Deans' offices to their students who wish to enrol in classes at another University for credit towards their University of Saskatchewan degrees. The letters indicate that the student is in good standing and has permission to attend the other University for a specified term or session, for credit back to the student's degree. Normally the Letter of Permission also indicates the University of Saskatchewan equivalents for the classes to be taken at the other institution; this equivalency is normally determined in advance in consultation with the tranfer credit evaluators, and a copy of the letter is kept on file in the Admissions office.