Dr. Michael Szafron
- (306) 966-5468
- Monte Carlo simulations
- Statistical methods associated with Monte Carlo data
- Computational biomodelling of the structure/function of biopolymers
- Statistical methods for the health sciences including survey data
- Determining the Type II topoisomerase-DNA interaction mechanism via studies of lattice models
- Determining the product distribution for a recombinase-DNA interaction mechanism via studies of lattice models
Recent Grants and Awards
- H. Vatanparast, A. Leis, L. Humbert, N. Muhajarine, A. Froehlich Chow, C. Henry, R. Engler-Stringer, N. Osgood, M. Szafron, M. Belanger, and S. Reading. The Impact of Healthy Start-Départ Santé intervention on improving dietary intake of 3-5 year old children attending childcare centers in Saskatchewan and New Brunswick, Award: $266,076, Heart and Stroke Foundation, 2015-2018.
- H. Vatanparast, A. Rosenberg, G. Clark, S. Finch, A. Kusalik, M. Szafron, and S. Whiting. The impact of vitamin D on disease activity in children with JIA. Children’s Hospital Foundation, 2015-2017: $72,386
- S. Kontulainen, A. Baxter-Jones, D. Cooper, M. Humbert, J. Johnston, J. Lanovaz, M. Szafron, H. Vatanparast, S. Wiebe. Revealing Origins of Osteoporosis (ROOT): An evaluation of sexual dimorphism and determinants of bone micro-architectural development in adolescence, Bridge Funding for the March 2014 CIHR Open Operating Grant, 2014-15: $39,164.
- M. L. Szafron (PI) Dr. James Rossiter MPH Practicum Award: $47,815, CIHR and PHAC. May 1, 2015 -April 30, 2016.
- M. L. Szafron Lattice Models of Polymers, Award: $10,000, President's NSERC Fund Award. May 1, 2014 - April 30, 2016.
- M. L. Szafron Lattice Models of Polymers, Award: $10,000, President's NSERC Fund Award. May 1, 2013 - April 30, 2015.
- B. J. Davison, C. Gutwin, M. Szafron, and K. Visvanathan. Profiling Prostate Cancer Patients’ Preferences to Facilitate Treatment Decision Making . SHRF Establishment Grant. April 2012 to March 2015.
- P. Chilibeck, D. Candow, A. Baxter-Jones, S. Kontulainen, M. Szafron and G. Zello. Ibuprofen supplementation after resistance training and its effects on bone in older woman. Catalyst Grant: Drug Safety & Effectiveness in Underrepresented Population. CIHR. October 2012 to September 2013.
- B. J. Davison, C. Gutwin, K. Visvanathan, L. Holtslander, L. Raccine, and M. Szafron. Profiling Patient Preferences to Facilitate Treatment Decision Making. Canada’s Motorcycle Ride for DAD Prostate Cancer Research. September 2011 to August 2012.
- PUBH 805.3: Biostatistics for Public Health
- PUBH 804.3: Foundations for Public Health
- PUBH 898.3: Biostatistics for Public Health II
- H. Li, A. Bowen, M. Szafron, J. Moraros and N. Muhajarine. (2015). Maternal mental health: a shared care approach. Primary Health Care Research & Development: 1-9
- M. Andkhoie, E. Pandovska-Pelivanova, S. Emmanuel, F. Lateef, M. Szafron, and M. Farag. (2014). Demand and burden of dental care in Canadian households. International Journal of Economics and Finance, 6(9): 73-82.
- B.J. Davison, M. Szafron, C. Gutwin, & K. Visvanathan. (2014). Using a Web-Based Decision Support Intervention to Facilitate Patient-Physician Communication at Prostate Cancer Treatment Discussions. Canadian Oncology Nursing Journal, 24(4): 241-255.
- M.E. Walker_, M. Szafron, and J. Anonson. (2014). Economist intelligence unit democracy index in relation to health services accessibility: a regression analysis, International Health
- M. A. Cheston, K. McGregor, C. E. Soteros, and M. L. Szafron. New evidence on the asymptotics of knotted lattice polygons via local strand-passage models, Journal of Statistical Mechanics: Theory and Experiment, 2 (2014) (25pp)
- C. Soteros and M. Szafron. Crossing-sign discrimination and knot-reduction for a lattice model of strand passage. Biochemical Society Transactions. (accepted January 8, 2013).
- C. Soteros, K. Ishihara, K. Shimokawa, M. Szafron, and M. Vazquez. Signed unknotting number and knot chirality discrimination via strand passage. Statistical Physics and Topology of Polymers with Ramifications to Structure and Function of DNA and Proteins; Aug 2-6, 2010; YITP, Kyoto. Progress of Theoretical Physics Supplement. 191:78-95 (2011)
- Szafron, M. L. and Soteros, C. E. The effect of juxtaposition angle on knot reduction in a lattice model of strand passage, J. Phys. A: Math. Theor. 44 (2011) 322001
- Szafron, M. L. and Soteros, C. E. Knotting probabilities after a local strand passage in unknotted self-avoiding polygons, J. Phys. A: Math. Theor. 44 (2011) 245003