Dr. Robert Buckingham
- (306) 966-8544
- Hospice care
- Global public health
- HIV/AIDS in South East Asia and Central America
Recent Grants and Awards
- 2005-2006 - College of Health and Social Services Faculty Research Award. For best research publication in the Department of Health Science.
- 1995-1997 - U.S.-Mexico Border Health Collaborative Outreach Demonstration Project, U.S. Department of Health and Human Services. Demonstrates several outreach methodologies at the border, with a view to establishing priorities for future funding by the Health Services and Resources Administration of the Public Health Service in the Southwest. $7.2million
- 1992 - Collegiate Athletic Management Award. For developing a state and national model prevention program to address the issues of sexism, sexual harassment and sexual violence on U.S. campuses.
- 1991 - Ivanosky Prize for Humanitarian Medicine awarded by the Russian American Institute of Health
- 1979-1980 - Department of Health, Education and Welfare, Administration for Public Services. A grant to examine levels and types of social services provided by 20 different hospice programs in the U.S. $9million
- 1974-1977 - National Cancer Institute, Washington, D.C. A grant to evaluate hospice services within the framework of home care at the Connecticut Hospice in New Haven. $5.5million
- 1974-1975 - Kellogg Fellowship, Yale School of Medicine
- R. Buckingham. Primer of International Health. Allyn & Bacon Boston, MA (2001)
- R. Buckingham. I'm Pregnant, Now What Do I Do? Prometheus Books, Buffalo, NY (1997)
- R. Buckingham. The Hospice Care Handbook. Prometheus Books, Buffalo, NY (1996)
- R. Buckingham. When Living Alone Means Living at Risk: A Guide for Caregivers and Families. Prometheus Books, Buffalo, NY (1994)
- R. Buckingham. Among Friends; Hospice Care for the Person with AIDS. Prometheus Books, Buffalo, NY (1992)
- R. Buckingham, S. Huggard. Coping With Grief. Rosen Books, New York, NY (1991)
- R. Buckingham. Care of the Dying Child. Continuum Books, New York, NY (1984)
- R. Buckingham. The Complete Guide to Home Health Care. Continuum Books, New York, NY (1984)
- R. Buckingham. The Complete Hospice Guide. Harper and Row, New York, NY (1983)
- R. Buckingham. A Special Kind of Love; Care of the Dying Child. Continuum Books, New York, NY (1983)
- R. Buckingham, S. Lack. First American Hospice. Van Dyke Press, North Haven, CT (1978)
- R. Buckingham, Y. Bird & J. Moraros. "Smoking Practices, Risk Perception of Smoking and Environmental Tobacco Smoke Exposure among Sixth Grade Students in Ciudad Juárez, Mexico". Nicotine & Tobacco Research, Vol. 9, No. 2, 2007.
- R. Buckingham, Y. Bird, J. Moraros, H. Staines-Orozco, & J.E. Brandon. "Parental Beliefs and Perceptions of the Role of Middle Schools in Student Tobacco Use Prevention Activities in Juarez, Mexico". Californian Journal of Health Promotion, Vol. 4, No. 3, 2006.
- R. Buckingham, J. Moraros, E. Meister, N.C. Webb, & Y. Bird. "Factors Associated with Condom Use among Brothel-based Female Sex Workers in Thailand". Journal of AIDS Care, July 2005.
- R. Buckingham, E. Meister. "Condom Use Among the Female Sex Worker Population in Thailand". International Journal of STD and AIDS, Vol. 15, No. D1118, 2004.
- R. Buckingham, E. Meister. "Condom Utilization Among Female Sex Workers in Thailand: Assessing the Value of Health Belief Model". California Journal of Health Promotion, Vol.4, No.4, 2003.
- R. Buckingham, E. Meister."Hospice Care for the Child with AIDS". The Social Science Journal, Vol. 38, No. 3, July 2001.
- R. Buckingham. "What is a Good Death?" The Salt Journal, April 2000.
- R. Buckingham, M. Bames and A. Wesley."Hispanic, HIV, and AIDS Along the U.S.-Mexico Border__ Transmission Trends and Prevention Strategies". A chapter in the text Border Health: the U.S. and Mexico, by John Bruhn, PhD and Jeffrey Brandon, PhD, 1997.
- R. Buckingham. "Hospice Home Care" ("Assistance conginuta: Domiciliare e presso 1'Hospice"), Progress! Clinici Medicina, Padona, Italy (November 1988).
- R. Buckingham. "Hospice Care for AIDS Patients," Journal of Texas Medicine, (June 1987).
- R. Buckingham, J. Emery. "Hospice Care Policy and Implications Contained in Emerging Cost Control Incentives," Arizona Medicine (May 1985).
- R. Buckingham. "Hospice Home Care," Hospice U.S.A., A.H. Kutcher, Columbia University Press, New York (1984).
- R. Buckingham. "Hospice Care for the Dying Child," The Child and Death, John Schowalter, M.D., Columbia University Press (1983).
- R. Buckingham. "Hospice in a Long Term Care Facility; an Innovative Pattern of Care," Journal of Long Term Care Administration (spring 1983).
- R. Buckingham. "Hospice Care in the United States: The Process Begins," Omega; Journal of Death and Dying (August 1982).
- R. Buckingham. "Dental Care Policies for Treating the Terminal Cancer Patient," Journal of Dental Hygiene (April 1981).
- R. Buckingham. "Hospice Has Vital Role in Caring for Elderly," My Opinion, JAMA (April 1981).
- R. Buckingham. "Hospice and Health Policy," Journal of Health Policy and Education, Elsevier Scientific Publishing Company, Amsterdam (December 1980).
- R. Buckingham. "Hospice Home Care for the Dying Patient and Family," keynote address. Foundation of Thanatology, College of Physicians and surgeons, Columbia University, New York (September 1980).
- R. Buckingham. "Evaluation Methodological Considerations for Hospice Programs," Hospice - A Caring Community, by T. Koff. Winthrop Publishers, Cambridge, Massachusetts (May 1980).
- R. Buckingham. "Public Health Policy and Terminal Care," The Arizona Review, 2nd quarterly (1980).
- R. Buckingham. "Primary Care of the Terminally 111," Journal of Geriatrics (December 1979).
- R. Buckingham. "Care of the Dying," Kansas Journal of Health Concerns (May 1978).
- R. Buckingham. "A Guide to Evaluation Research in Terminal Care programs," Journal of Death Education (April 1978).
- R. Buckingham. "The Hospice Concept," Health Sciences Publications Corporation, New York (1977).
- R. Buckingham. "Living with the dying: use of the Technique of Participant observation," Canadian Medical Association Journal (December 1976).
- R. Buckingham. "Implications of Participant Observation in Medical studies," Canadian Medical Association Journal (December 1976).
- R. Buckingham. "An Evaluative Study of Hospice Home Care," Doctoral Dissertation, Yale School of Medicine (1978).
- R. Buckingham. "Navajo Crafts and Commerce," Masters Thesis, Wesleyan University. In part publication by the Department of Interior (1972).