Dr. Hassan Vatanparast
- Nutritional epidemiology with emphasis on nutrition-related non-communicable diseases
- Community-based health promotion
- Public health nutrition
- Nutritional assessment
- Analysis of complex health survey data
- Nutrition and health status of immigrant and refugee population
- Dietary intakes of Canadians, with emphasis on beverage intakes and risk of obesity and chronic conditions, and impact of beverage intakes on bone-building nutrients such as vitamin D and calcium
- Evaluating the effect of nutrition and physical activity on bone and blood lipid profile in postmenopausal women
- Evaluating the impact of socio-economic and cultural factors on food insecurity in immigrants and refugees both nationally and internationally
- Immigrant health and nutrition
- Vitamin D and disease activity in inflammatory bowel diseases
- NUTR 811.3 - Advances in Public Health Nutrition
- PUBH 803.3 - Health Promotion
- NUTR 350.3 - Community Nutrition
- NUTR 305.3 - Food, Culture and Human Nutrition
Recent Grants and Awards
- Vatanparast H et al. The impact of socio-economic and cultural factors on household food insecurity of refugees: a comparative study of Afghan refugees resided in Iran and Canada. Social Sciences and Humanities Research Council, Partnership Development Grant, March 2012 to 2014.
- Vatanparast H. Nutritional Health of Immigrant and Refugee Children in Regina. Ministry of Advanced Education, Employment and Immigration. March 2012-March 2014.
- Hoover J, Uswak G, Vatanparast H, Zerehgar A. Oral health status of recent immigrant/refugee children in Saskatchewan, Canada. College of Dentistry, University of Saskatchewan. June 2012-September 2013.
- Black J, Chapman E, Vatanparast H, Carten S, Rojas A. What Shapes Food Practices on School Days? Examining the Food Environment In and Around Secondary Schools. Canadian Institute of Health Research, September 2011-September 2014.
- Vatanparast H. Nutrition and health issues among recent immigrant and refugee children in Saskatoon, Saskatchewan. Saskatchewan Health Research Foundation. September 2010-September 2012
- Vatanparast H, Henry C. Link: Healthy Food-Healthy Newcomer Family, Government of Saskatchewan, Ministry of Advanced Education, Employment and Immigration. March 2011-March 2012
- Henry C, Vatanparast H, Whiting S, Zello G; Chocolate Milk: Contributions to Overall Nutrient Intake for School-aged Children, Dairy Farmers of Canada, May 2011-May 2012.
- Vatanparast H. Our responsibility: healthy welcoming community for newcomer children, CIHR Café Scientifique Program, September 2011.
- Bennett C, Chilibeck P, Barss T, Vatanparast H,Vandenberg A, Zello G. (2012). Metabolism and performance during extended high-intensity intermittent exercise after consumption of low- and high-glycaemic index pre-exercise meals. British Journal of Nutrition, 108, S81–S90.
- Abeysekara S, Chilibeck P, Vatanparast H, Zello G. (2012). A pulse-based diet is effective for reducing total and LDL-cholesterol in older adults. British Journal of Nutrition, 108, S103–S110.
- Nikpartow N, Danyliw A, Whiting S, Lim H and Vatanparast H. (2012). Beverage Intake Patterns of Canadian Adults 19 to 65 Years, Journal of Public Health Nutrition, In Press.
- Nikpartow N, Danyliw A,Whiting S, Lim H and Vatanparast H. (2012). Fruit drink consumption is associated with overweight and obesity in Canadian Women, Canadian Journal of Public Health, 103 (3):178-82
- Danyliw AD, Vatanparast H, Nikpartow N, Whiting SJ. (2012) Beverage patterns among Canadian children and relationship to overweight and obesity. Appl Physiol Nutr Metab. Jun 14. (Epub ahead of print).
- Burr J, Shephard R, Cornish S, Vatanparast H, Chilibeck P. (2012). Arthritis, osteoporosis, and low back pain: evidence-based clinical risk assessment for physical activity and exercise clearance. Can Fam Physician, 58(1):59-62.
- Danyliw AD, Vatanparast H, Nikpartow N, Whiting SJ. (2011) Beverage intake patterns of Canadian children and adolescents. Public Health Nutr, 14(11):1961-9.
- Chilibeck PD, Vatanparast H, Cornish SM, Abeysekara S, Charlesworth S. (2011).Evidence-based risk assessment and recommendations for physical activity: arthritis, osteoporosis, and low back pain. Appl Physiol Nutr Metab, 36, Suppl 1:S49-79.
- S. Whiting, K. Langlois, H. Vatanparast and L. Greene-Finestone. (2011). The Vitamin D Status of Canadians Relative to the new Dietary Reference Intakes: Are Supplements Necessary to Achieve 25 Hydroxyvitamin D Levels of 50 nmol/L in Children and Adults? American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, epub May.
- Vatanparast H, Adolphe JL, Whiting SJ. (2010). Socio-economic status and vitamin/ mineral supplement use in Canada. Health Rep. 21(4):19-25.
- H. Vatanparast T. Green, M. Calvo and S.J. Whiting. (2010). Despite Mandatory Fortification of Staple Foods, Vitamin D Intakes and Canadian Children and Adults are Inadequate. The Journal of Steroid Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, 121(1-2), 301-303.
- Whiting SJ, Vatanparast H, Taylor JG, Adolphe JL. (2010). Barriers to healthful eating and supplement use in lower-income adults. Can J Diet Pract Res.71 (2):70-6.S.
- H. Vatanparast, A. Baxter-Jones, D. Bailey and S. Whiting. (2010). Calcium Requirements for Bone Growth in Canadian Boys and girls during Adolescence. British Journal of Nutrition, 103(4), 575-580.
- H. Vatanparast and S. Whiting S, (2010). Role of Vitamin and Mineral Supplements in Nutrient Intakes of Canadians and its Determinants, Health Reports, Statistics Canada, 21(4), 1-8.
- S. Whiting, H. Vatanparast, J. Taylor and J.L. Adolphe (2010). Barriers to Use of Vitamin and Mineral Supplements are Similar to those for Healthy Eating in Lower Income Adults, Canadian Journal of Dietetic Practice and Research, 71(2), 70-76.
- H. Vatanparast, J.H. Dolega-Cieszkowski and S. Whiting. (2009). Many Canadians are not Meeting Current Calcium Recommendations from Food Intake. Applied Physiology, Nutrition and Metabolism, 34(2), 191-196.
- Sabbagh Z, Vatanparast H. (2009) Is calcium supplementation a risk factor for cardiovascular diseases in older women? Nutrition Reviews, 67(2):105-108.
- Vatanparast H, Whiting S. (2007) Beverage consumption in children and the health consequences: an alarming trend. In: Carter LV, ed. Child Nutrition Research Advances. Hauppauge NY : Nova Science Publishers, Inc. p. 89-110.
- Vatanparast, H., Whiting, S.J., Bailey, D.A. Baxter-Jones, A. (2007). The Beneficial Effect of Dietary Protein on Bone Mineral Mass Is influenced by Habitual Dietary Calcium Intake in Young Adults Females. Journal of Nutrition, 137(12):2674-9.
- Vatanparast, H., Chilibeck, P. (2007). Does the effect of soy phytoestrogens on bone in postmenopausal women depend on the ability of producing equol? Nutrition Reviews, 65, 6, 294-299.
- Vatanparast, H., Lo, E., Henry, C.J., Whiting, S.J. (2006). A negative trend in calcium intake within 15 years (1991-2004) was accompanied by a substitution of milk by non-carbonated soft drinks in Canadian female students. Nutrition Research, 26, 325-329.
- Whiting, S. Vatanparast, H.(2006). What's new in nutrition? An update since the 2002 Osteoporosis Canada clinical practice guidelines. Osteoporosis Update, 10, 2,6-9.
- Vatanparast, H., Baxter-Jones, A., Faulkner, R.A., Bailey, D.A., Whiting, S.J. (2005).The positive effects of vegetable and fruit consumption and calcium intake on bone mineral accrual of boys during growth from childhood to adolescence in the University of Saskatchewan Pediatric Bone Mineral Accrual Study. American Journal of Clinical Nutrition 82(3):700-706.
- Whiting, S. Vatanparast, H. (2005). Nutritional interventions in osteoporosis. Journal of Geriatrics & Aging, 8, 9,14-20.
- Vatanparast, H. & Whiting, S. (2005). Adolescence, the optimum time to maximize bone mass through calcium and vitamin D. The Whitehall-Robins Report, 14, 2.
- Vatanparast, H. Whiting, S.(2005). Knowledge pathway on osteoporosis. Practice-based Evidence in Nutrition. http://www.dieteticsatwork.com/pen/ViewPublicCurrentTopics.asp
- Vatanparast, H. Whiting, S. (2005) CME on nutritional interventions in Osteoporosis. Journal of Geriatrics & Aging, Volume 8, Number 9.http://cme.geriatricsandaging.ca/oct05a
- Whiting, S.J., Vatanparast, H., Baxter-Jones, A., Faulkner, R.A., Mirwald, R., Bailey, D.A. (2004). Factors that affect bone mineral accrual in the adolescent growth spurt.Journal of Nutrition, 134: 696S-700S.
- Vatanparast, H. Whiting, S.(2004). Early milk intake, later bone health: results from using the milk history questionnaire. Nutrition Reviews, 62, 256-260.