John S. Moraros, MD, PhD, MPHAssistant Professor, School of Public Health
- Doctor of Philosophy in Molecular Biology (PhD), New Mexico State University, Las Cruces, New Mexico
- Master of Public Health (MPH) in Community Health, New Mexico State University, Las Cruces, New Mexico
- Medico y Cirurgano Diploma (MD), Universidad Autonoma de Cuidad Juárez, Chihuahua, México
Phone: (306) 966-8578
Areas of Research Interest
- Cancer epidemiology in minority populations
- Cancer prevention through lifestyle change, such as dietary practices and smoking behavior
- Cancer screening practices
- Health disparities
- Aboriginal health
- Immigrant and refugee health
- Intimate partner violence
- STI and HIV/AIDS
- Alcohol and drug abuse
Dr. Moraros is committed to a community based participatory research approach, which leads to practical public health interventions and utilizes culturally appropriate and sensitive strategies whether dealing with an entire community or a subpopulation group as a community.
- Recipient of NMSU Outstanding Graduating Master's Student Award, 2004
- Recipient of SOPHE's 55th Annual Meeting Student Scholar Award, 2004
- Who's Who Among Graduate Students in American Universities & Colleges, 1991, 2004-06
- First Place Overall for Research Poster Presentation, Hot Projects & Paso del Norte Foundation, New Mexico State University, 2004 & 2005
- Third Place Overall for Research Poster Presentation, Graduate Research & Arts Symposium, New Mexico State University, 2004
- Best Graduating Medical Student, Instituto de Ciencias Biomedicas, Universidad Autonoma de Ciudad Juárez, Juárez, Mexico, 2002
- First Place for Medical Student Paper Presentation, Universidad Autonoma de Ciudad Juárez, Mexico, Health Science Conference, 2001 & 2002
- Distinguished Individual Award in Community Health Service, Juárez, Mexico, 2002
- Distinguish Writing Award, New York College of Podiatric Medicine, New York, 1993
- Hermes Honors Fellow Podiatric Society
- Academic Fellow, Queens College, New York City, New York, 1988-1991
- Lemstra, M., Rajakumar, D., Thompson. A., Moraros, J. (2011). The Effectiveness of Telephone Reminders and Home Visits to Improve Measles, Mumps and Rubella Immunization Coverage Rates in Children. Paediatric & Child Health 16:1:e1-e5.
- Benegas, M., Bird, Y., Moraros, J & Thompson, B. (2011). United States-Mexico Border Latinas: Breast Cancer Knowledge, Attitudes, and Early Detection Practices. Journal of Women’s Health 56:6:358-366.
- Lemstra, M., Rogers, M., Thompson. A., Redgate, L., Garner, M., Tempier, R., & Moraros, J. (2011). Prevalence and Risk Indicators of Depressed Mood in On-Reserve First Nations Youth. Canadian Journal of Public Health 102:4:258-263.
- Lemstra, M., Rogers, M., Thompson. A., Moraros, J & Buckingham, R. (2011). Risk Indicators of Depressive Symptomatology Among Injection Drug Users and Increased HIV Risk Behaviour. Canadian Journal of Psychiatry 56:6:358-366.
- Moraros, J., Bird, Y., Chen, S., Buckingham, R., Meltzer, R., & Prapasiri, S. (2010). The Impact of the 2002 Delaware Smoking Ordinance on Heart Attack and Asthma. International Journal of Environmental Research and Public Health 7:2:4169-4178.
- Bird, Y., Moraros, J., Banegas, M., King, S., Prapasiri, S., & Thompson, B. (2010). Breast Cancer Knowledge and Early Detection among Hispanic Women with a Family History of Breast Cancer along the US-Mexico Border. Journal of Health Care for the Poor and Underserved 21:2:475-488.
- Bird, Y., Banegas, M., Moraros, J., King, S., Prapasiri, S., & Thompson, B. (2010). The Impact of Family History of Breast Cancer on Knowledge, Attitudes, and Early Detection Practices of Mexican Women along the US-Mexico Border. Journal of Immigrant Minority Health, 13:5, 834-841.
- Bird, Y., Moraros, J., Olsen K.L., Forester-Cox, S., Staines-Orosco, H. (2007). Smoking Practices, Risk Perception of Smoking and Environmental Tobacco Smoke Exposure among Adolescents in Ciudad Juárez, Mexico. Nicotine & Tobacco Research, 8:6:859-870.
- Bird, Y., Moraros, J., Olsen K.L., Coronado, G., Thompson, B. (2006). Sixth Grade Students’ Smoking Behaviors, Beliefs about the Risks of Smoking and Exposure to Environmental Tobacco Smoke in Ciudad Juárez, Mexico. American Journal of Health Behavior, 30:4:435-446.
- Bird, Y., Moraros, J., Buckingham, R.W., Staines-Orosco, H., Brandon, J.E. (2006). Parental Beliefs and Perceptions of the Role of Middle Schools in Student Tobacco Use Prevention Activities in Juárez, Mexico. California Journal of Health Promotion, 4:3:103-115.
- Moraros, J., Bird, Y., Barney, D.D., King, S.C., Banegas, M., Suarez, E.T. (2006). A Pilot Study: HPV Infection Knowledge & HPV Vaccine Acceptance among Women Residing in Ciudad Juarez, Mexico California Journal of Health Promotion, 4:3:177-186.
- Buckingham, R.W., Moraros, J., Bird, Y., Meister, E. & Webb, N.C. (2005). Factors associated with condom use among brothel-based female sex workers in Thailand. Journal of AIDS Care Journal of AIDS Care, 17: 640-647.
- Moraros, J., and Hodge, W. (1993). Orthotic survey: Preliminary results. Journal of American Podiatric Medical Association, 83:3:139-148.