Suresh Tikoo, PhD, MVSc, DVMProfessor, School of Public Health
- Doctor of Philosophy in Veterinary Microbiology (PhD), University of Saskatchewan
- Master of Veterinary Microbiology (MVSc), Govind Ballabh Pant University of Agriculture and Technology
- Doctor of Veterinary Medicine (DVM), Govind Ballabh Pant University of Agriculture and Technology
Phone: (306) 966-7482
Areas of Research Interest
- Molecular virology
- Viral pathogenesis
- Virus-host interactions
- Mucosal immunization
- Viral vectors
- Dendritic cell vaccines
- NSERC STRATEGIC GRANT - 2006-2009 (PI)
- NSERC CRD GRANT - 2007-2010 (Co-PI)
- NSERC DISCOVERY GRANT - 2007-2012 (PI)
- SADF - 2008-2011(PI)
- SCIDF - 2008-2011(PI)
- FCA - 2006-2009(Co-PI)
- SHRF Team grant “RAPID” - 2008-2013 (Member)
- Kulshrestha, V., and S. K. Tikoo*. (2008). Interaction of bovine adenovirus-3 33K with other viral proteins. Virology (In Press).
- Zhou, Y., A. Ficyzcy, and S. K. Tikoo*.2007. Porcine adenovirus type 3 E1Blarge protein down regulates the induction of-8. Virology J. 4:60.
- Z. Akin, C. Paterson, A. Patel, S. Kumar, V. Kulshrestha, I. Badea and S. K. Tikoo*. 2007. Targeted Adenovirus vector for Cancer gene Therapy. In “Recent Research Developments in Gene Therapy” Ed by Jim Xiang.
- A. Zakhartchouk Wu, Q, , S. K. Tikoo*. 2006. Construction of capsid modified bovine adenovirus type 3. In “Adenovirus Method s & Protocols”. 2nd ed. Vol 1, pp91-106. Ed: Wold, W. and Tollefson, A. Humana Press, Totowa, New Jersey.
- Zakhartchouk, A. N., W. Connors and S. K. Tikoo*. 2004. Bovine adenovirus type 3 containing heterologous protein in the C-terminus of minor capsid protein pIX. Virology 320:291-300
- Wu, Q, and S. K. Tikoo*.2004. Altered tropism of bovine adenovirus 3 expressing chimeric fiber. Virus Res. 99:11-17.
- Xing L., and S. K. Tikoo*. 2003. Characterization of cis- acting sequences involved in packaging of porcine adenovirus type 3 DNA. Virology 314:650-661.
- Baxi, M. K., D. Dereget, J. Robertson, L. A. Babiuk, T. Schlapp and S. K. Tikoo*. 2000. Recombinant bovine adenovirus type 3 expressing bovine viral diarrhea virus glycoprotein E2 induces an immune response in cotton rats. Virology 278:234-243.
- Zakhartchouk, A. N., C. Pyne, G. Mutwiri, Z. Papp, M. E. Baca-Estrada, P. Griebel, L. A. Babiuk, and S. K. Tikoo* 1999. Mucosal immunization of calves with recombinant bovine adenovirus-3: Induction of protective immunity to bovine herpesvirus-1. J.Gen. Virol. 80: 1263-1269.
- Reddy, P. S., N. Idamakanti, A. N., Zakhartchouk, M. K. Baxi, J. B. Lee, C. Pyne, L. A. Babiuk, and S. K. Tikoo*. 1998. Nucleotide sequence, genomic organization and transcriptional map of bovine adenovirus-3. J. Virol. 72:1394-1402.
- VACC 801.3 – Vaccinology & Immunotherapeutics (Team taught course)
- VTMC 833.3 – Advanced Virology (Team taught course)
- VTMC 830.3 – Recent Advances in Microbiology (Team Taught course)
- Our studies are focused on understanding how DNA viruses including non human adenoviruses interact with host and produce progeny virions. A major focus of the laboratory is to develop and use non human adenoviruses for vaccination of animals and humans. My current areas of research include:
- Molecular characterization of non human adenoviruses
- Non human adenovirus as a vaccine delivery vector
- Targeted animal adenovirus
- Adenovirus DNA packaging
- Protein-Protein interactions
- Role of structural \ non structural proteins in viral replication