- Nutritional epidemiology with emphasis on nutrition-related non-communicable diseases
- Community-based health promotion
- Public health nutrition
- Nutritional assessment
- Analysis of complex health survey data
- Nutrition and health status of immigrant and refugee population
- Evaluating the impact of socio-economic and cultural factors on food insecurity in immigrants and refugees both nationally and internationally.
- Nutrition and health among Indigenous communities in Canada, Central America and Africa.
- Dietary intakes of Canadians and risk of obesity and chronic conditions.
- Evaluating the effect of nutrition and physical activity on bone and blood lipid profiles among Canadians.
- Immigrant health and nutrition.
- Vitamin D and disease activity in inflammatory bowel diseases.
- Evaluating the impact of menu planning resources and the cultural adaptation of “Healthy Start/Départ Santé” to improve nutrition, physical activity, and physical literacy in early learning facilities.
- Grain consumption of Canadians in association with health and disease.
- Calcium and vitamin D of Canadians in association with osteoporosis and CVD.
- “Eat Healthy, Play Healthy” initiative to promote healthy food environments in recreational facilities.
- PUBH 803.3 Health Promotion Online Course
- PUBH 898.3-Special Topics on Global Health
- NUTR 310.3-Food, Culture and Nutrition
- NUTR 350- Community Nutrition
- NUTR 492.3-Undergraduate Research
- NUTR 898.3- Special Topics on Nutrition and Chronic Conditions
Recent Grants and Awards
- Vatanparast, H. (PI), Koç, M., Batal, M., Engler-Stringer, R., Garcea, J., White, J., Qarmout, T., Farag, M., Iqbal, R., Racine, L., & Diaz, E. (2017-2020). The impact of socio-economic, geographic, and cultural factors on household food insecurity of Syrian refugees: a comprehensive study after resettlement in Canada. SSHRC CAD$189,815.
- Vatanparast, H. (PI), Koç, M., Henry, C., Engler-Stringer, R., Garcea, J., White, J., Qarmout, T., Farag, M., Iqbal, R., Mehta, K., & Racine, L. (2016-2017). The impact of socio-economic and cultural factors on household food security of Syrian refugees in Canada. SSHRC CAD$25,000 & College of Pharmacy & Nutrition, UofS CAD$15,000. Total CAD$40,000.
- Vatanparast, H. (PI) & Whiting, S. (2017). Calcium and vitamin D intakes of Canadians: vulnerable groups and call to action for improving bone health. CIHR CAD$93,000.
- Vatanparast, H. (PI) & Grantham, A. (2017-2018). Refugee crises, access to food and health, time for action! CIHR CAD$20,000.
- Vatanparast, H. (PI), Petrucka, P., Kulshreshtha, S., Monroy Valle, M., Ketilson, L., Farag, M., Lane, V., Chasse, P., Nunes, C., & Lahiji, A. (2017-2020). Global Leaders Scholarship – Seeking sustainable solutions in food security and nutrition for women and children: a tri-country approach. Queen Elizabeth Scholarship CAD$449,200 & University of Saskatchewan CAD$478,600. Total CAD$927,800.
- Vatanparast, H. (PI) & Whiting, S. (2017-2018). Consumption of cereal, snacks, and milk products in Canada. General Mills USD$129,600.
- Vatanparast, H. (PI). (Oct 2017). Grain consumption patterns, their respective nutrient contribution and related health outcomes in Canadians. Alberta Wheat Commission CAD$37,500.
- Vatanparast, H. (PI). (Sep 2017). Grain consumption patterns, their respective nutrient contribution and related health outcomes in Canadians. Saskatchewan Wheat Development Commission CAD$37,500.
- Vatanparast, H. (PI). (Sep 2017). Grain consumption patterns, their respective nutrient contribution and related health outcomes in Canadians. Grain Farmers of Ontario CAD$25,000.
- Vatanparast, H. (PI). (2017). Smart Menu. Réseau Santé en Français de la Saskatchewan/Saskatchewan Network for Health Services in French CAD$130,000.
- Gauthier, R., Lepage-Lavoie, G., Leis, A., Vatanparast, H., Bélanger, M., Humbert, L., & Muhajarine, N. (2017-2020). Healthy Start/Départ Santé-Phase III. PHAC CAD$1,515,000.
- Gauthier, R., Lepage-Lavoie, G., Leis, A., Vatanparast, H., Bélanger, M., Humbert, L., Muhajarine, N. (Co-PI), & Leis, A. (2017-2020). Healthy Start Start/Départ Santé-Sustainability. CIF CAD$651,800.
- Rosenberg, A. (PI), Adamko, D., Erlandson, M., Gordon, J., Inman, M., Almubarak, S., Bradley, T., Martel, M.J., Nour, M., Dyck, R., Jones, A.B., Agrey, N., Magee, F., Vatanparast, H., Bowen, A., Strueby, L., & Kusalik, A. (2017-2019). Intrauterine inflammation as a determinant of pregnancy outcomes and child health. CHFS CAD$122,773.
Vatanparast, H., Nisbet, C., & Patil, R. (2017). Food security and nutritional health of newcomer children. In V.R. Preedy & V.B. Patel (Eds.), Handbook of Famine, Starvation, and Nutrient Deprivation. Springer International Publishing.
Whiting, S.J., Vatanparast, H., & Calvo, M.S. (2017). Current understanding of vitamin D metabolism, nutrition status, and role in disease prevention. In A.M. Coulston, C.J. Boushey, M.G. Ferruzzi & L.M. Delahanty. (Eds.), Nutrition in the Prevention and Treatment of Disease (pp. 937-963), London, United Kingdom: Academic Press.
Selected Papers in Refereed Journals
Surette, V., Ward, S., Morin, P., Vatanparast, H., & Bélanger, M. (2017). Food reluctance of preschool children attending daycare centers is associated with a lower body mass index. Journal of the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics, 117(11), 1749-1756. doi: 10.1016/j.jand.2017.07.007
Yaghoubi, M., Mansell, K., Vatanparast, H., Steeves, M., Zeng, W., & Farag, M. (2017). Effects of pharmacy-based interventions on the control and management of diabetes: a systematic review and meta-analysis. Canadian Journal of Diabetes, 41(5), S26. doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.jcjd.2017.08.076
Alrefai, D., Jones, J., El-Matary, W., Whiting, S., Aljebreen, A., Mirhosseini, N., & Vatanparast, H. (2017). The association of vitamin D status with disease activity in a cohort of Crohn’s Disease patients in Canada. Nutrients, 9(10), 1112. doi: 10.3390/nu9101112
Mazidi, M., Shivappa, N., Wirth, M.D., Hebert, J.R., Vatanparast, H., & Kengne, A.P. (2017). The association between dietary inflammatory properties and bone mineral density and risk of fracture in US adults. European Journal of Clinical Nutrition. doi: 10.1038/ejcn.2017.133.
Mirhosseini, N., Vatanparast, H., Mazidi, M., & Kimball, S.M. (2017). The effect of improved serum 25-hydroxyvitamin D status on glycemic control in diabetic patients: a meta-analysis. Journal of Clinical Endocrinology Metababolism, 102(9), 3097-3110. doi: 10.1210/jc.2017-01024.
Movassagh, E.Z., Baxter-Jones, A.D.G., Kontulainen, S., Whiting, S.J., & Vatanparast, H. (2017). Tracking dietary patterns over 20 years from childhood through adolescence into young adulthood: the Saskatchewan Pediatric Bone Mineral Accrual Study. Nutrients, 9(9), 990. doi: 10.3390/nu9090990.
Vatanparast, H., Whiting, S., Hossain, A., Mirhosseini, N., Merchant, A.T., & Szafron, M. (2017). National pattern of grain products consumption among Canadians in association with body weight status. BMC Nutrition, 3(1), 59.
Mazidi, M., Kengne, A.P., & Vatanparast, H. (2017). Food security and leukocyte telomere length in adult Americans. Oxidative Medicine and Cellular Longevity, 2017.
Ward, S., Bélanger, M., Donovan, D., Vatanparast, H., Muhajarine, N., Engler-Stringer, R., Leis, A., Humbert, M.L., & Carrier, N. (2017). Association between childcare educators’ practices and preschoolers’ physical activity and dietary intake: a cross-sectional analysis. BMJ open, 7(5), e013657.
Ward, S., Bélanger, M., Donovan, D., Boudreau, J., Vatanparast, H., Muhajarine, N., Leis, A., Humbert, M.L., & Carrier, N. (2017). “Monkey see, monkey do”: Peers’ behaviors predict preschoolers' physical activity and dietary intake in childcare centers. Preventive Medicine, 97, 33-39. doi: 10.1016/j.ypmed.2017.01.001
Lane, V. Vatanparast, H (2017). Inclusive or targeted health services for newcomers. Canadian Diversity: Refugee Pathways, 46-49.
Mazidi, M., Gao, H.K., Vatanparast, H., & Kengne, A.P. (2017). Impact of the dietary fatty acid intake on C-reactive protein levels in US adults. Medicine, 96(7), e5736. doi: 10.1097/MD.0000000000005736
Movassagh, E.Z., Kontulainen, S., Baxter-Jones, A.D.G., Whiting, S., Szafron, M., Papadimitropoulos, M., & Vatanparast, H. (2017). Are milk and alternatives and fruit and vegetable intakes during adolescence associated with cortical and trabecular bone structure, density, and strength in adulthood? Osteoporosis International, 1-11.
Movassagh, E.Z. & Vatanparast, H. (2017). Current evidence on the association of dietary patterns and bone health: a scoping review. Advances in Nutrition: An International Review Journal, 8(1), 1-16. doi: 10.3945/an.116.013326
Mazidi, M., Karimi, E., Rezaie, P., & Vatanparast, H. (2017). The impact of vitamin D supplement intake on vascular endothelial function; a systematic review and meta-analysis of randomized controlled trials. Food & Nutrition Research, 61(1), 1273574. doi: 10.1080/16546629.2016.1273574
Mazidi, M., Rezaie, P., Ferns, G.A., & Vatanparast, H. (2017). Impact of probiotic administration on serum C-reactive protein concentrations: systematic review and meta-analysis of randomized control trials. Nutrients, 9(1), 20. doi: 10.3390/nu9010020
Mirhosseini, N. Z., Knaus, S. J., Bohaychuk, K., Singh, J., Vatanparast, H. A., & Weber, L.P. (2016). Both high and low plasma levels of 25-hydroxy vitamin D increase blood pressure in a normal rat model. British Journal of Nutrition, 116(11), 1889-1900.
Hosseini, Z., Whiting, S.J., & Vatanparast, H. (2016). Current evidence on the association of the metabolic syndrome and dietary patterns in a global perspective. Nutrition Research Reviews, 29(2), 152-162.
Mazidi, M., Rezaie, P., Vatanparast, H., & Kengne, A.P. (2016). Effect of statins on serum vitamin D concentrations: a systematic review and meta‐analysis. European Journal of Clinical Investigation. doi: 10.1111/eci.12698
Hoover, J., Vatanparast, H., & Uswak, G. (2016). Risk determinants of dental caries and oral hygiene status in 3–15 year-old recent immigrant and refugee children in Saskatchewan, Canada: a pilot study. Journal of Immigrant and Minority Health, 1-7.
Henry, C., Whiting, S.J., Finch, S.L., Zello, G.A., & Vatanparast, H. (2016). Impact of replacing regular chocolate milk with the reduced-sugar option on milk consumption in elementary schools in Saskatoon, Canada. Applied Physiology, Nutrition, and Metabolism, 41(5), 511-515. doi: 10.1139/apnm-2015-0501
Bélanger, M., Humbert, L., Vatanparast, H., Ward, S., Muhajarine, N., Chow, A.F., Engler-Stringer, R., Donovan, D., Carrier, N., & Leis, A. (2016). A multilevel intervention to increase physical activity and improve healthy eating and physical literacy among young children (ages 3-5) attending early childcare centres: the Healthy Start-Départ Santé cluster randomised controlled trial study protocol. BMC public health, 16(1), 313. doi: 10.1186/s12889-016-2973-5
Engler-Stringer, R., Muhajarine, N., Ridalls, T., Abonyi, S., Vatanparast, H., Whiting, S., & Walker, R. (2016). The Good Food Junction: a community-based food store intervention to address nutritional health inequities. JMIR research protocols, 5(2), e52. doi: 10.2196/resprot.5303