Emmanuel College was founded at Prince Albert in 1879. An Act of the Dominion Parliament established and incorporated the college as "The University of Saskatchewan" in 1883. When the provincial government established its own university in Saskatoon in 1909, Emmanuel College moved to that city and, while retaining its university status, relinquished its charter title to the new university taking as its new name, The University of Emmanuel College.
St. Chad's College was established in Regina in 1907, where it continued its work until 1964; the year it amalgamated with Emmanuel College. Together they formed the College of Emmanuel & St. Chad, continuing as an affiliate college of the University of Saskatchewan.
The Provincial Synod of May 1967 formally recognized the College of Emmanuel & St. Chad as the official accredited Theological College for the Ecclesiastical Province of Rupert's Land. The student body includes postulants from the dioceses of this Province and various other provinces of the Anglican Communion