The objective of the degree program curriculum is to give solid grounding and depth in biblical and theological areas, and to develop pastoral skill in the areas of creative, vital and energizing liturgical and parish leadership geared toward engaging congregations, whatever their size, with growing in the mission of the church, rural and urban, in a multicultural context. Our program is designed both to challenge and develop the breadth and depth of a student's understanding of all aspects of the basic discipline of theology. Our program has also been designed to allow considerable flexibility around the entry and exit stages of the program, including the possibility of doing a portion of the studies by distance education.
All program elements academic, liturgical, practical, pastoral seek to maximize opportunities to learn and grow together in community. We believe that experience is essential for effective adult learning and also undergirds all effective theological and pastoral practice. For this reason students receive credits for participating in required experiential elements of the program such as preaching, liturgical planning and leadership etc.
Additional Ordination Stream Requirements
As well those in Ordination Stream of the BTh or MDiv programs must meet the following additional requirements:
- A 12 week unit of Clinical Pastoral Education (required for ordination stream, highly recommended option for others)
- A catalogue of key competencies which must be met for graduation which will include:
- Competencies at the end of the first two terms of residence;
- Competencies to be achieved prior to beginning internship;
- Competencies to be achieved prior to graduation.
- The individual student's program will be directed to achieve these competencies, and from time to time specific students may be required to undertake additional courses on a non-credit basis in order to ensure achieving a specific level or area of competence.