- B.A., 1992, Dong Duk University
- M. Div., 1997, HanShin Graduate School of Theology
- Th. D., 2006, University of Toronto
Biography: HyeRan Kim-Cragg was born in Inchon, Korea. She was baptized as Catholic and converted to Protestantism during her youth. She was involved in Student Christian Movement during her university years and came to Canada in 1995. She is an ordained minister of the Presbyterian Church in the Republic of Korea. She is married to an ordained United Church minister and has two biracial children. She loves walking, growing plants and vegetables, and biking. She enjoys a life of Saskatoon, especially not needing to drive.
Research Interest and Teaching: Worship, Christian education, postcolonial studies, intercultural ministries, feminist pastoral leadership, anti-racism education.
- An Intercultural Adventure Part II: The Authority and Interpretation of Scripture in The United Church of Canada. Co-authored with Don Schweitzer. Daejeon, Blacksmith Publisher, 2016.
- 2 Thessalonian: Wisdom Commentary. co-authored with Mary Ann Beavis, Collegeville: Liturgical Press, 2016.
- Hebrews: Wisdom Commentary. co-authored with Mary Ann Beavis, Collegeville: Liturgical Press, 2015.
- Story and Song: A Postcolonial Interplay between Christian Education and Worship. New York: Peter Lang, 2012.
- The Encounters: Re-telling the Biblical Stories from Migration and Intercultural Perspectives. co-authored with Eun-Young Choi, translated by Lark Kim, Daejeon, Blacksmith Publisher, 2013.
- An Introduction to The United Church of Canada: Key Texts with Introductions and Commentary. co-edited with Don Schweitzer, Daejeon, Blacksmith Publisher, 2014.
- What Does The Bible Say? In Conversation with Popular Culture. Co-authored with Mary Ann Beavis. Eugene: Cascade, forthcoming.
- What Kind of Response can Pastoral Theology Give in the Midst of Suffering? In Can You Hear me Now?: Making Pastoral Theology Relevant in a Modern World. Michael Maness, ed. Wipf & Stock, forthcoming.
- “Through Senses and Sharing: How Liturgy Meets Food” Liturgy 32, forthcoming.
- “Postcolonial Practice on Eucharist,” in Postcolonial Practice of Ministry Kwok Pui-lan and Stephen Burns, eds. 77-89. Lexington 2016.
- “What are People For? Christian Life, Discipleship and Ministry” in Theology of The United Church of Canada, Michael Bourgeoisies, Rob Fennell, and Don Schweitzer, ed. Waterloo: Wilfred Laurier University Press, forthcoming.
- “Motherhood as Self-Giving and Self-Receiving Relationship” in Parenting as Spiritual Practice and Source for Theology: Mothering Matters, Claire Bischoff, Elizabeth Gandolfo, Annie Hardison-Moody, eds. New York: Palgrave Macmillan, forthcoming.
- “A Theology of Resistance in Conversation with Religious Education in Unmasking Violence,” Religious Education 110:4 (August 2015): 420-434.
- “Baptism as Crossing beyond Belonging?” in Liturgy in Postcolonial Perspectives: Only One is Holy, Cláudio Carvalhaes, ed. 201-211(New York: Palgrave Macmillan, 2015).
- “Liturgy in Migration and Migrants in Liturgy.” Co-written with Stephen Burns in The Church in an Age of Global Migration: A Moving Body. Susanna Snyder, Joshua Ralston, Agnes M. Brazal, eds., 113-130 (New York: Palgrave, 2015).
- “Turning to the Other: Interdenominational, Interethnic, Interreligious, Transnational Activism and A New Ecclesia,” co-written with Mai-Anh Tran in Complex Identities in a Shifting World : Practical Theological Perspectives, Pamela Couture, Robert Mager, Pamela R. McCarroll, and Natalie Wigg, eds. 127-138. (Berlin: LIT Verlag, 2015).
- “Between and Beyond Asian-ness: A Voice of a Postcolonial Hybrid Korean-Canadian in the Diaspora,” in What Young Asian Theologians Are Thinking: the CSCA Christianity in Southeast Asia Series No 7, Leow Theng Huat, ed., 90-102 (Singapore, Trinity Theological College, 2014).
- “Intercultural Threads of Hybridity and Threshold Spaces of Learning,” Co-written with Joanne Doi, Religious Education 107:3 (May-June: 2012): 262-275.
- Invited to be the task force group member as theological educator working on “Women’s Ordination,” for World Communion of Reformed Churches (WCRC), Havana, Cuba, January 26-28, 2016.
- The keynote speaker for Canadian Theological Students Conference, University of Alberta, Edmonton, May 3-6, 2013.
- The speaker at Emmanuel College, Toronto, “What happens to Practical Theology when you take Migration seriously?” April 10, 2013.
- Invited to be the presenter for A United Church of Christ Interreligious Consultation: “Living Across Traditions: Multiple Religious Belonging and the Changing Religious Landscape,” Phoenix, AZ. Nov 2-5, 2015.
- Invited to be the presenter for a conference of Prairie Centre for Ecumenism, discussing the WCC document “The Church towards a Common Vision,” Nov 30, 2013, November 23, 2014.
- “Changing Faces of Evangelism in the United Church of Canada’s Current Migration Contexts.” Paper presented at the Symposium on Evangelism of the United Church of Canada, Nottingwasaga, Canada, November 3, 2014.
- A Book Awards by Catholic Press Association of the USA and Canada. Hebrews (Liturgical Press) Third Place Scripture: Academic Studies, 2016.
- Member of the Board of the Religious Education Association (REA) as Chair of the Religious Education and Faith Communities Standing Committee.
- Member of International Academy of Practical Theology (IAPT)
- Member of North American Academy of Liturgy (NAAL)
- The Emma Kaufman Scholarship, 2012
- The McGeachy Senior Scholarship, 2011
- Wabash Center Summer Fellowship, 2010