- Princeton Theological Seminary, Ph.D., 1993.
- St. Andrew’s College, S.T.M., 1987.
- Queen’s Theological College, M.Div., 1982.
- University of Toronto, B.A., 1979.
Biography: Don was born in Montreal, raised in Kingston, Ont., and settled by the United Church at Turtle River Larger Parish northwest of North Battleford, Saskatchewan in 1982. In 1984 he and Leslie Goodwin were married. They have two sons, Simon and Ian. After Don attended graduate school he and Leslie accepted a call to Wesley United Church in Prince Albert, Sask. In 2000 he filled the position of McDougald Professor of Theology at St. Andrew’s College, and was subsequently hired permanently and received tenure.
Research and Teaching Interests: Christology, Jesus’ resurrection, doctrine of God, pneumatology, the history and theology of The United Church of Canada, justification by grace and shared identity space.
- Jesus Christ For Contemporary Life. Eugene Oregon: Cascade Books, 2012.
- The United Church of Canada: A History, edited by Don Schweitzer. Waterloo: Wilfrid Laurier University Press, 2011.
- Jonathan Edwards as Contemporary: Essays in Honor of Sang Hyun Lee, edited by Don Schweitzer. New York: Peter Lang, 2010.
- Contemporary Christologies: A Fortress Introduction. Minneapolis: Fortress Press, 2010.
- Intersecting Voices: Critical Theologies in A Land of Diversity, co-edited with Derek Simon. Ottawa, ON: Novalis, 2004.
Details and purchase information on books authored and edited by Don Schweitzer is available on our faculty publications page.
Experience: McDougald Professor of Theology since 2000; guest lecturer at Bishop’s College, Kolkata; United Theological Seminary, Bangalore; Kerela Theological Seminary, Trivanandrum; Han-Shin Graduate School of Theology, Seoul.
- President, Canadian Theological Society, 2004-2005.