STEPS INVOLVED IN APPLYING FOR USE OF THE ATRF
- Any research wishing to utilize the Aquatic Toxicology Research Facility (ATRF) are required to fill out an ATRF Submission and Approval Form to be submitted to the ATRF Manager. The form will require information on the justification for the research and experimental design, UCACS approval, personnel training, space and equipment required, water and wastewater treatment needs and a research timetable. A decision based upon available space and merit of the proposal will be provided to the applicant within 14 days of submission.
- Requests for use of the ATRF for teaching and aquatic organism colonies use the same forms, and handled in the same way as requests for research space.
- The request for use of the ATRF should be submitted as far in advance of the start date of the experiment as possible. It is recommended that potential users consult with the ATRF Manager prior to submission of their written request. This will ensure that the user's needs can be fully assessed and that their written request is complete and can be processed as quickly as possible.
- Once approval is given, the personnel directly involved in the use of the ATRF must register in person with the ATRF Manager prior to the start date of their experiment to discuss set-up of the research space, ATRF user training and facility access.
IMPORTANT ATRF REGULATIONS TO KEEP IN MIND
- Users of the ATRF must ensure that University Biosafety, Health and Safety, and CCAC regulations are strictly followed.
- All users must have successfully completed the University Animal Care course and ATRF training session prior to accessing the ATRF.
- All users are responsible for feeding and care of their aquatic organisms, and cleaning and basic maintenance of their experimental tanks, equipment and surrounding area.
- All users are responsible for decontaminating and treating any waste water produced as a result of their experiment.
- A thorough cleaning of research space and materials must be completed within 24 hours of the end date of the experiment.
- Only authorized personnel are permitted access to the ATRF. Guests must be given approval to enter the facility by the ATRF Manager.
- Any equipment to be brought into the ATRF must be approved by the ATRF Manager.
- Extension of the timeline for a current research project must be sumitted using a project amendment form to the ATRF Manager in advance of the original end date.
- Addition of personnel to a current research project after submission of the ATRF request form requires the submission followed by registration and training with the ATRF Manager prior to ATRF access.