University of Saskatchewan

Importing Fish

Information for importing fish into Saskatchewan


Tanya Johnston, BSc., M.Mar.Sci.
Sport Fishery Specialist
Ministry of Environment
3211 Albert St. REGINA, SK S4S 5W6
Phone: (306) 787-2467  fax: (306) 787-1349


Tanya Johnston is the contact for all import permits for Saskatchewan. Below is her explanation of the procedures for 3 different types of Imports that can occur.  In her own words, Tanya has provided information for importing fish into Saskatchewan.  Below are examples of common imports that she has done in the past for the Toxicology Centre.

1)  Salmonid species:  All salmonid species (fish and eggs) imported into the province must come from an approved facility.  (In your case, Troutlodge in an approved facility).  In order to get an import permit you must first get a Fish Health Certificate from the facility (Troutlodge).  At the bottom of the Fish Health Certificate, you must fill out the importing information. Please fax/email the completed Fish Health Certificate to me fax: (306) 787-1349. Though I can usually get an import permit done within a day, we require the Fish Health Certificate 3 weeks in advance of the date of shipment, as the shipper (Troutlodge) must receive their copy and the copy that accompanies the shipment via mail.  Once I have completed the import permit, you will receive two copies in the mail.  A green copy, which must be presented to Customs at Saskatoon Airport when picking up the fish/eggs, and a white copy (take that with you to Customs too, but you keep it).  Once the fish have arrived at the Toxicology Centre, please fill out the bottom part of the white copy import permit and either mail it back to me, or fax it to me for our records.   Generally import permits are valid for 1 month, of time, and we can date them to start the day we receive them, or any day in the future.  The only time we can't provide one month is when the Fish Health Certificate is getting close to 180 days old, all shipments must be sent within 180 days of dated Fish Health Cert.

2) Native species to SK, non-salmonids (e.g. fathead minnows) :  An import live fish/eggs that are non-salmonid, do not require a fish health certificate from the supplier.  The first time a project requires a import permit we ask for a research proposal/write-up similar to the intro to a research paper which briefly explains the research being undertaken, and why, along with the following information : Name of shipper (name of individual if possible, as well as company name) and shipper's address, name of importer, and address, number of fish/eggs being shipped, species of fish, size of fish if applicable, method of shipment (i.e. truck cargo/air cargo, personal vehicle), carrier (Fed Ex, Air Canada), Point of Entry into Canada (if applicable) and into SK (i.e.. arriving Regina/Saskatoon airport, border crossing) Date of shipment.  For future shipments, the proposal is not required, but the other information is required.  Again, we will need 3 weeks to process this form.  Green and white copies of the import permit follow the process mentioned above under Salmonids.

3) Non-native Species to SK, non-salmonids (e.g. medaka):  Any live fish/eggs of a species not currently found in SK or is not a salmonid, must first get approval from SK Introductions & Transfers committee prior to any import permits being issued.  This can be a lengthy process, taking anywhere from 1-3 months.  It's best for the individual to contact me directly  and I can provide them with the I&T package.  Under no circumstances should any shipments be arranged prior to the I&T approval.  Should the ministry become aware of a shipment of a non-native species that has not received I&T approval, we have the right to destroy those species.