The Math/Stats Help service of the University Learning Centre is located in the Murray (Main) Library, Room 144 (map).
The service is free of charge to all University of Saskatchewan students for help with University of Saskatchewan courses.
Math/Stats help staff help students with a variety of mathematical or statistical topics, with a focus on first-year or introductory courses. Our service is primarily a drop-in service: students are welcome to drop in and work on homework, and ask questions when needed. Our service is designed for current University of Saskatchewan students looking for help with U of S courses. We also offer workshops or review sessions on certain topics in mathematics. These will be announced on this page and on PAWS.
Unfortunately, we do not have the resources to provide help with research-level statistics at this time. Please contact the Department of Mathematics and Statistics for advice on research-level statistics. You may also find the resources at the Murray Library page on Numeric Data helpful.
We will be open for Term 1 of Regular Session 2013-2014 on Thursday, September 5. See below ("Hours of Operation") for schedule.
December final exam period: Yes, we will be open during the final exam period - please see below ("Hours of Operation") for the detailed schedule. Please note that the schedule is tentative.
For those students doing review of trigonometry, here is a link to the unit circle, showing positive angles in radians and degrees and their terminal points: (source: wikimedia) http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/4/4c/Unit_circle_angles_co...
Please check out this area for information on special sessions.
Math 110 help sessions
- Friday, Dec. 6, 3:30-5:30pm, in Arts 108 (with Amos L, lab coordinator from the Department of Mathematics and Statistics)
- Sunday, Dec. 8, 6:30pm, in Arts 263 (with Holly, math/stats help coordinator)
- Tuesday, Dec. 10, 1pm, in Arts 146 (with Holly, math/stats help coordinator)
Math 123 help sessions
- tentative schedule: Sunday, Dec. 15
- help session before the final exam - TBA
- Math Placement Test (for students registered in certain 100-level mathematics courses): For more information about the placement test, go to http://math.usask.ca/placement/ . If you still have questions, please contact Amos Lee in the Department of Mathematics and Statistics (lee at math.usask.ca - replace the 'at' with @). To try a sample version of the placement test that you will write in September, please go to: http://math.usask.ca/sample_placement/
- Math Readiness evening course - A fall evening course for Math Readiness is in progress. For more information, please call Holly Fraser at 306-966-2742. To register, please call the Centre for Continuing and Distance Education at 306-966-5539.
- Math help for physics - If you are looking for help with the mathematics used in physics, you may want to consider registering in the "Math for Physics" course being offered by the Department of Physics and Engineering Physics through CCDE (the Centre for Continuing and Distance Education). For more information, please visit the "Math for Physics" website here: http://ccde.usask.ca/physicsreview . Alternatively, you may want to seek help at your physics tutorial, at the Structured Study Sessions for physics, or at Math/Stats Help. Please note that Math/Stats Help tutors are not necessarily prepared to help with physics concepts, but can help with math calculations involved.
Hours of Operation
Hours during Term 1 of Fall Session, 2013-2014
Hours of Operation during the final exam period (Dec. 5-20, 2013)
Thurday Dec. 5: 10am-6pm & 7-9pm
Friday Dec. 6: 10am-6pm & 7-9pm
Saturday Dec. 7: 12noon-4pm
Sunday Dec. 8: 1-5pm
Monday Dec. 9: 10am-6pm & 7-9pm
Tuesday Dec. 10: 10am-6pm & 7-9pm
Wednesday Dec. 11: 10am-6pm & 7-9pm
Thursday Dec. 12: 10am-5pm
Friday Dec. 13: 10am-5pm
Saturday Dec. 14: 11am-5pm
Sunday Dec. 15: 1-5pm
Monday Dec. 16: 10am-6pm & 7-9pm
Tuesday Dec. 17: 10am-6pm & 7-9pm
Wednesday Dec. 18: 10am-6pm & 7-9pm
Thursday Dec. 19: 10am-6pm & 7-9pm
Friday Dec. 20: 10am-2pm
Sat. Dec. 21-January 5: closed
This schedule is subject to change. If these hours are not compatible with your schedule, please email Holly at holly.fraser at usask.ca (replace the 'at' with the appropriate symbol).
We will re-open for Term 2 on Monday, January 6.
This was our schedule during Term 1:
Regular Schedule (starts Monday, September 9, 2013 and ends Wednesday, December 4):
Monday 10am-6pm; 7-9pm
Tuesday 10am-6pm; 7-9pm
Wednesday 10am-6pm; 7-9pm
Schedule: Math/Stats Help is generally open whenever the U of S is in session; that is, during Regular Session (September-April) and Spring and Summer Session (mid-May until mid-August). We are not able to open on statutory holidays. We often hold exra hours during the final exam periods.
If you have written or will be writing the Math Placement test for your 100-level Mathematics course, you might be interested in trying out the online Sample Placement test, at the website of the Department of Mathematics and Statistics.
If you would like to find a private tutor (for payment), please consult either the tutor list maintained by the Department of Mathematics and Statistics, available here: Dept. of Mathematics and Statistics tutor list or the tutor list maintained by the USSU (general) Help Centre: http://fms.ussu.ca/fmi/iwp/cgi?-db=TutorRegistry&-loadframes
U of S students seeking help with non-U of S courses should be aware that students needing help with U of S courses have priority. Unfortunately, we usually do not have the capacity at this time to answer questions from people who are not University of Saskatchewan students.