Appendix C: Letter of Understanding Between the University of Saskatchewan and the University of Saskatchewan Faculty Association
In the interest of promoting harmonious relations and recognizing that the appointment and reappointment of senior Administrative officers has an impact on the working conditions of the Faculty, the University of Saskatchewan and the University of Saskatchewan Faculty Association agree that the following represents their understanding with respect to the appointment and reappointment of senior administrative officers of the University:
- The University of Saskatchewan agrees that the search procedures outlined in the policy documents issued by the Board of Governors in 1997, and as amended from time to time, shall be interpreted to include Deans (including the Dean, University Library), Associate Deans (including the Associate Dean, University Library), the Associate Vice-President Human Resources, the Associate Vice-President Information and Communications Technology, the Associate Vice-President Student and Enrolment Services, the Vice-Provost, the Vice-President Finance and Resources, the Vice-President Research, the Provost and Vice-President Academic, the President and additional positions as deemed appropriate by the Joint Committee.
- From time to time, a Joint Committee of the Board of Governors and Council will be established to review the search procedures in respect of the appointment and reappointment of the senior administrative officers noted above, and will report their findings and any proposed amendments to the Board of Governors. The appropriate number of faculty or Council members on the search committees and the appropriate methods for selection of faculty or Council members will be included in the review.
- The Joint Committee shall be comprised of three (3) members appointed by the Board, and three (3) members drawn from the membership of the General Academic Assembly named by the Nominations Committee of Council and approved by Council, and an independent Chair appointed by the Board of Governors from a list of names put forward by the Joint Committee. The list shall be approved by a majority of the members of the Committee, including at least a majority of the Council appointees, and a majority of the Board appointees.
- The University agrees to make the policy available on the University web site. Print copies of the policy shall also be available, upon request.
- The University restates its commitment to follow the policies issued by the Board of Governors and to allow the full range and extent of consultation envisioned by these policies.
Robert E. Gander Mark Evered
Signing for the Association Signing for the University
Dated August 26, 2003