Information on Administrative Leave
Based on Article 21.9 of the 2010-2013 Collective Agreement
Eligibility and remuneration:
- service as department head, assistant dean.
- not less than five (5) consecutive years -> 6 or 12-month leave at 100% of salary.
- not less than three (3) consecutive years -> 6-month leave at 90% of salary.
- years of service as department head/assistant dean count toward either administrative leave or
- sabbatical leave, but not both.
- a sabbatical leave nullifies all previous accumulated service for an administrative leave.
Timing of the administrative leave: should be taken in the academic year following completion of the term of service as department head or assistant dean. Anyone taking administrative leave is expected to return to the University for a period equivalent to the period of leave.
Effect of leaves on term of appointment as department head or assistant dean (Article 13.6.4): a sabbatical or administrative leave taken during the initial appointment or period of re-appointment as department head or assistant dean extends the term of appointment/re-appointment by the length of the leave. In such cases, the period of sabbatical or administrative leave will not be credited as qualifying service for a further leave.
Relationship to subsequent sabbatical leaves: on completion of the administrative appointment and any administrative leave, prior “unused” years of qualifying service for a sabbatical can be credited towards the next sabbatical; however, if the sabbatical is taken immediately following an administrative leave, the maximum duration of the combined leaves may only be 12 months. If there is an interval of one year between the administrative leave and sabbatical, the intervening year can be credited towards a future sabbatical, providing it has not already been counted as qualifying service for the sabbatical leave.
Application: a plan of activities should be submitted to the Dean by November 30 of the academic year preceding the leave. Although not required, the first page of the sabbatical leave application form may be used as a guide for the submission.
- Accountable travel expense account (Articles 21.9 and 22.13): for travel expenses incurred during the leave. The standard travel expense claim form, accompanied by receipts, should be submitted to the Business Office. Several claims may be submitted during the leave; all claims should be submitted not later than 3 months after the end of the leave. Travel advances are not issued against this fund, although it can be used to pay for a ticket prior to leaving.
- Professional expense account (Article 22.12): the ‘regular’ amount for all faculty is still available during administrative leave; however the additional allowance for department heads (Article 19.8.2) is not. Claims may be submitted up to 4 times a year to the Business Office on the usual form. Unused amounts may be carried forward into the next year.
- Sabbatical Leave Research Grants (Articles 21.9 and 20.12): available for administrative leave
- projects as long as the individual “can reasonably demonstrate to the appropriate research committee that such funds are required for research to be carried out during the  leave.”
- Promotion and Special Increases (Article 18.7.5): anyone on administrative leave is eligible for promotion and special increases while on leave.
Report: on the work done during the leave should be submitted to the Dean not later than 3 months after the end of the leave.