The SEEQ Instrument
The SEEQ instrument consists of 32 standardized questions (#1-32) grouped into the following nine dimensions of teaching.
1. Learning (Questions 1-4)
2. Enthusiasm (Questions 5-8)
3. Organization (Questions 9-12)
4. Group Interaction (Questions 13-16)
5. Individual Rapport (Questions 17-20)
6. Breadth (Questions 21-24)
7. Examinations (Questions 25-27)
8. Assignments (Questions 28-29)
9. Overall (Questions 30-32)
The first 8 dimensions (#1-29) are measured using a five-point scale (strongly disagree, disagree, neutral, agree, and strongly agree). The 9th dimension, “Overall” (#30-32), is measured using a five-point scale (very poor, poor, average, good, very good). In addition to the 32 standardized questions, the U of S SEEQ instrument also includes a question regarding whether the instructor should be nominated for an outstanding teaching award, (#33), as well as an open-ended question for student feedback.
SEEQ is currently administered in either an online or a paper–based format. For the online version, individual departments and colleges can also add one extra section to their instrument (consisting of 7 -12 questions) by choosing from a list of six sections that are tailored to different teaching instructional types.
• Student and course characteristics (10 questions)
• Tutorial/seminar (12 questions)
• Group/project work (9 questions)
• Practical/skills/lab (9 questions)
• Clinical sessions (7 questions)
• Online learning (12 questions)