Professor, Veterinary Anesthesiology
Small Animal Clinical Sciences
Office Location: WCVM 2598
- B.Vet.Med., University of London, UK
- Diploma in Veterinary Anesthesia, Liverpool Veterinary College, UK
- Diplomate, American College of Veterinary Anesthesiologists (ACVA)
- Diplomate, European College of Veterinary Anesthesiologists (ECVA)
- M.Sc., University of Saskatchewan, Pulmonary intravascular macrophages and response to endotoxin in rabbits.
Teaching and Clinical Areas
Dr. Duke teaches small and large animal veterinary anesthesia in the DVM program and also helps run an ECVAA and ACVA approved anesthesiology residency program. She was a small animal practitioner for four years in the United Kingdom.
Dr. Duke's past research has involved cardiopulmonary effects of laparoscopy and thorascopy. Her present interests focus on physiology as it relates to anesthesia, pain control and critical care.
- Duke-Novakovski, T., 2014. Opioids: Chapter 4 in Pain Management in Veterinary Practice(2014) 1st Ed. Eds: Christine Egger, Lydia Love and Tom Doherty, Wiley Blackwell, Ames, Iowa, USA. Pp 41-67.
- Duke-Novakovski, T, Palacios-Jimenez, C, Wetzel, T, Rymes, L, Sanchez-Teran, AF, 2015. Cardiopulmonary Effects of Dexmedetomidine and Ketamine Infusions with Either Propofol Infusion or Isoflurane for Anesthesia in Horses. Veterinary Anaesthesia and Analgesia, 42, 39–49.
- Ambros, B., Dowling, P, Alcorn, J, Duke-Novakovski, T, Livingston, A, 2014. Pharmacokinetics and Pharmacodynamics of a 5 μg kg-1 h-1 Fentanyl Infusion in Awake Cats. American Journal of Veterinary Research, 75(8):716-21.
- Anderson, S., Duke-Novakovski, T., Singh, B., 2014. The Immune Response to Anaesthesia: Part One (2013) Journal of Veterinary Anaesthesia and Analgesia, 41(2):113-26.
- Anderson, S., Duke-Novakovski, T., Singh, B., 2014. The Immune Response to Anesthesia: Part 2 Sedatives, Opioids, and Injectable Anesthetic Agents. Journal of Veterinary Anaesthesia and Analgesia, 41(6):553-66.
- Benmansour, P, Husulak, ML, Bracamonte, JL, Beazley, SL, Withnall, E, Duke-Novakovski, T, 2014. Cardiopulmonary Effects of an Infusion of Remifentanil or Morphine in Horses Anesthetized with Isoflurane and Dexmedetomidine. Journal of Veterinary Anaesthesia and Analgesia, 41(4):346-56.
- Fahlman, Å, Caulkett, N, Woodbury, M, Duke-Novakovski, T, Wourms, V, 2014. Low Flow Oxygen Therapy from a Portable Oxygen Concentrator or an Oxygen Cylinder Effectively Treats Hypoxemia in Anesthetized White-Tailed Deer (Odocoileus Virginianus). Journal of Zoo and Wildlife Medicine, 45(2): 272–277.
- Ambros, B., Duke, T., 2013. Effect of Low Dose Rate Ketamine Infusions on Thermal and Mechanical Thresholds in Conscious Cats. Veterinary Anaesthesia and Analgesia, 2013, 40, e76–e82.
- Duke-Novakovski, T., Singh-Suri, S., Kawa, O.K., Caldwell, S., Charavaryamath, C., Singh, B., 2013. Immunophenotypic and Functional Characterization of Rabbit Pulmonary Intravascular Macrophages. Cell and Tissue Research, 351: 149-160.
- Beazley, S.G., Duke-Novakovski, T., Cosford, K., Shmon, C., 2012. Cardiopulmonary Effects of Using Carbon Dioxide for Laparoscopic Surgery in Cats. Canadian Veterinary Journal, 52: 973–978.
- Duke-Novakovski, T., Ambros, B., Auckland, C.D., Harding, J.C.S., 2012. The Effects of Succinylcholine or Low-Dose Rocuronium to Aid Endotracheal Intubation of Adult Sows. Canadian Journal Veterinary Research, 76: 57–61.
- Duke-Novakvoski, T., Clark, C.R., Ambros, B., Gilbert, P., Steagall, P.V.M., 2011. Plasma Concentrations of Buprenorphine After Epidural Administration in Conscious Cats. Research in Veterinary Science, 90: 480-483.