- 2007 to present: Director, Canadian Centre for Health and Safety in Agriculture, University of Saskatchewan
- 2007 to present: Professor, Division of Respirology, Critical Care & Sleep Medicine, Department of Medicine, University of Saskatchewan
- 2009 to present: Co-leader, Airways Research Group, University of Saskatchewan
- 2008 to present: Associate Member, School of Public Health, University of Saskatchewan
- 2007 to present: Associate Member, Department of Veterinary Microbiology, Western College of Veterinary Medicine
- 2003 to 2009: Co-chair, Immunology and Infectious Diseases Research Group, University of Saskatchewan
- BSc (Advanced), University of Saskatchewan
- PhD, University of Saskatchewan
- Post-Doctoral, National Institutes for Medical Research, Mill Hill, UK
- Post-Doctoral, Harvard Medical School, Boston
Dr. Gordon's research interests include immunology and immunopathology. Areas of special interest and research are tolerance induction in allergy/asthma, cytokines, regulation of immune responses, therapeutic amelioration of neutrophilic inflammation - each in human and veterinary species.
- Allergic disease: We have assessed the potential for using autologous dendritic cells to tolerize allergic airway disease/asthma in an animal model of this disease. Our data suggest that transfer of allergen-pulsed tolerogenic dendritic cells into animals with severe allergic lung disease dramatically ameliorates airway hyperresponsiveness and down-regulates its immunologic correlates. We are dissecting the mechanisms responsible for these effects. (Supported by the Canadian Institutes for Medical Research)
- Inflammation: We have recently developed a high affinity antagonist of multiple ELR-CXC chemokines, CXCL8(3-73)K11R/G31P, that blocks the in vitro inflammatory activities expressed in pneumonic pasteurellosis and mastitis lesions. It also ameliorates neutrophilic inflammatory responses to endotoxin challenge in vivo in cattle, pigs and guinea pigs, blocking their fever and hemorrhagic responses in tandem, and antagonizes the activity the ELR-CXC chemokines (e.g., CXL8/IL-8) on human neutrophils.
For more information about Dr. Gordon's research program, please visit his website.
Books, chapters and reviews:
- Gordon JR. 2004. A Practical Guide to Cellular and Molecular Research Methods in Immunology. Fifth edition. 132 pages. University of Saskatchewan.
- Zhang X, Gordon JR, Xiang J. 2002. "Advances in dendritic cell-based vaccines for cancer." Cancer Biotherapy and Radiopharmacology 17:601-619.
- Xiang J, Gordon JR. 2002. "Genetic engineering of a recombinant fusion protein possessing an anti-tumor antibody fragment and a TNF-alpha moiety." In Methods in Molecular Medicine. Humana Press Inc, Totowa, NJ. 201-12.
- Carmalt JL, Gordon JR, Allen AL. "Temporomandibular joint cytokine profiles in the horse." Equine Veterinary Journal, in press.
- Shahriar F, Ngeleka M, Gordon JR, Simko E. 2006. "Identification by affinity chromatography/mass spectroscopy of Escherichia coli lipopolysaccharide-binding proteins in porcine milk." Canadian Journal of Veterinary Research, in press.
- Shahriar F, Ngeleka M, Gordon JR, Simko E. "Identification by mass spectroscopy of F4-fimbrial-binding proteins in porcine milk and characterization of lactadherin as an inhibitor of F4-positive Escherichia coli attachment to intestinal villi in vitro." Developmental and Comparative Immunology, in press. Sask ADF-funded.
- Gordon JR, Li F, Zhang X, Wang W, Zhao X, Nayyar A. 2005. "The combined CXCR1/CXCR2 antagonist CXCL8(3-73)K11R/G31P blocks neutrophil infiltration, pyrexia and pulmonary vascular pathology in endotoxemic animals." J Leukocyte Biology. 78: 1265-1272. NSERC-funded.
- Zhang X, Huang H, Yuan J, Sun D, Hou W-S, Gordon JR, Xiang J. 2005. "CD4-8- dendritic cells prime CD4+ T regulatory 1 cells to suppress antitumor immunity." Journal of Immunology 175: 2931-2937. CIHR-funded.
- Ebeling C, Forsyth P, Ng P, Gordon JR, Hollenberg N, Vliagoftis H. 2005. "Proteinase-activated receptor-2 activation in the airways enhances antigen-mediated airway inflammation and airway hyperresponsiveness through different pathways." Journal of Allergy and Clinical Immunology 115: 623-30. CIHR-funded.
- Gordon JR, Li F, Xiang J, Zhang X. 2005. "Allergen-presenting splenic CD8-_lpha+ dendritic cells tolerize allergic lung disease via an IL-10-dependent, contact-independent, mechanism." Journal of Immunology 175: 1516-1522. CIHR-funded.
- Forsythe P, Ebeling C, Gordon JR, Befus AD, Vliagoftis H. 2004. "Opposing effects of short and long term stress on airway inflammation." American Journal of Respiratory and Critical Care Medicine 169: 220-26. CIHR-funded.
- Gordon JR, Swystun VA, Li F, Zhang X, Davis BE, Hull P, Cockcroft DWC. 2003. "Regular salbutamol use increases CXCL8 responses in asthma. Relationship to the eosinophil response." European Respiratory Journal 22: 1-9.
- Li F, Zhang X, Mizzi C, Gordon JR. 2002. "CXCL8(3-73)K11R/G31P antagonizes the neutrophil chemoattractants present in pasteurellosis and mastitis lesions and abrogates neutrophil influx into intradermal endotoxin challenge sites in vivo." Veterinary Immunology and Immunopathology. 90: 65-77.
- Li F, Zhang X, Gordon JR. 2002. CXCL8(3-73)K11R/G31P antagonizes ligand binding to the CXCR1 and CXCR2, and neutrophil responses to CXCL8/IL-8. Biochemical and Biophysical Research Communications. 293: 939-44.
- Chen Z, Dehm S, Bonham K, Kamencic H, Juurlink B, Zhang X, Gordon JR, Xiang J. 2002. "DNA array and biological characterization of the impact of the maturation status of mouse dendritic cells on their phenotype and antitumor vaccination efficacy." Cellular Immunology. 214: 60-71.
- Schneider AM, Zhang X, Li F, Gordon JR. "Differential induction of allergen-specific IgA, airway hyperresponsiveness, or allergic airway disease following sensitization with limiting doses of ovalbumin-alum." Cellular Immunology. 212: 101-109.
- Li F, Gordon JR. 2001. "IL-8(3-73)K11R is a high affinity agonist of the neutrophil CXCR1 and CXCR2." Biochemical and Biophysical Research Communications 286: 595-600.
- Cairns CM, Gordon JR, Li F, Xiang J. 2001. "Lymphotactin expression by engineered myeloma tumor cells drives tumor regression: mediation by CD4+ and CD8+ T cells and neutrophils expressing the XCR1 receptor." Journal of Immunology 167: 57-65.
- Gordon JR, Zhang X, Stevenson K, Cosford K. 2000. "Thrombin induces IL-6 but not TNF-alpha expression by mouse mast cells. Threshold-level thrombin receptor and very low level Fc-epsilonRI signaling synergistically enhance IL-6 secretion." Cellular Immunology 205: 128-35.
- Gordon JR. 2000. "Monocyte chemoattractant protein-1 (MCP-1) expression cutaneous allergic responses in mice is mast cell-dependent and largely mediates monocyte recruitment." Journal of Allergy and Clinical Immunology. 106: 110-116.
- Gordon JR. 2000. "TGF-beta1 and TNF-alpha secreted from mast cells stimulated via the Fc-epsilon-RI activate fibroblasts for high level production of monocyte chemoattractant protein-1." Cellular Immunology. 201: 42-49.
- Papp Z, Middleton DM, Rontved CM, Foldvari M, Gordon JR, Baca-Estrada, ME. 2000. "Transtracheal administration of interleukin-12 induces intense neutrophil responses in the murine lung." Journal of Interferon and Cytokine Res. 20: 191-95.
- Caswell JL, Middleton DM, Gordon JR. 1998. "Production and functional characterization of recombinant bovine interleukin-8 as a specific neutrophil activator and chemoattractant." Veterinary Immunology and Immunopathology. 67: 327-340.