Large Animal Clinical Sciences
Office Location: WCVM 2203
- BVMS, MRCVS, University of Glasgow
- MSc, Reproductive Physiology of Male Wapiti, University of Saskatchewan
- Diplomate, American College of Zoological Medicine
Dr. Jerry Haigh has worked with wildlife in Africa and continues to maintain an interest in this area. He is currently engaged in a research program to study the role of brucellosis in Ugandan wildlife. He has also recently developed a teaching rotation in Uganda for fourth-year students.
His research areas in Canada continue to be with bison and farmed deer.
Dr. Haigh has written a memoir of 10 years of practice as a young veterinarian in Kenya. Wrestling with Rhinos: The Adventures of a Glasgow Vet in Kenya
is published by ECW Press of Toronto with numerous photos and illustrations in both colour and black and white. His second memoir, The Trouble With Lions: A Glasgow Vet in Africa
, was published in 2008 by the University of Alberta Press of Edmonton, Alta. The collection of stories highlights some of Dr. Haigh's memorable experiences working with wild animals in Africa.
- Haigh JC. 2008. The Trouble With Lions: A Glasgow Vet in Africa. University of Alberta Press. 488 pages.
- Haigh JC. 2002. Wrestling with Rhinos: The Adventures of a Glasgow Vet in Kenya. ECW Press. 390 pages.
- Haigh JC, Hudson RJ. 1993. Farming Wapiti and Red Deer. Mosby Year Book Inc.: St. Louis.
Other Recent Publications:
- Haigh JC, Mackintosh C, Griffith F. 2002. "Viral, parasitic and prion diseases of farmed deer and bison." Rev. Sci. Tech. Off. Int. Epiz., 21 (2), 219-248.
- Mackintosh C, Haigh JC, Griffith F. 2002. "Bacterial diseases of farmed deer and bison." Rev. Sci. Tech. Off. Int. Epiz., 21 (2), 249-263.