Leighton, Frederick A. (Ted)
Professor and Director, Canadian Cooperative Wildlife Health Centre Headquarters
Dr. Frederick A. (Ted) Leighton is the executive director of the CCWHC and a professor in the Department of Veterinary Pathology at the Western College of Veterinary Medicine, University of Saskatchewan.
- AB, Cornell University
- DVM, University of Saskatchewan
- PhD, Cornell University
- Diplomate: American College of Veterinary Pathologists (Anatomic Pathology)
Teaching and Clinical Areas
Dr Leighton teaches undergraduate and graduate courses in wildlife health and disease.
Dr. Leighton's research and publications have included pathology and epidemiology of non-infectious and infectious diseases of wild animals, disease surveillance, disease management and interpretation of science to the general public. Current research includes avian influenza viruses in wild birds, transmission dynamics of chronic wasting disease, and epidemic disease in double crested cormorants.
For more information about Dr. Leighton's research, please visit the CCWHC web site.
- Neimanis, AS, Koopman HN, Westgate AJ, Nielsen K, Leighton FA. 2008. "Evidence of exposure to Brucella sp. in harbor porpoises (Phocoena phocoena) from the Bay of Fundy, Canada." Journal of Wildlife Diseases. 44(2): 480-485.
- Parmley, EJ, Bastien N, et al. 2008. "Wild bird influenza survey, Canada 2005." Emerging Infectious Diseases. 14(1): 84-87.
- Pasick, J, Handel K, Robinson J, Bowes V, Li Y, Leighton T, Kehler H, Ridd D, Cottam-Birt C. 2007. "Relationship between H5N2 avian influenza viruses isolated from wild and domestic ducks in British Columbia, Canada." Avian Diseases. 51: 429-431.
- Leighton FA, Heckert RA. 2007. "Newcastle Disease and related avian paramyxoviruses." 3-16. In Infectious Diseases of Wild Birds. Thomas NJ, Hunter DB, Atkinson CT (eds). Blackwell Publishing, Oxford.
- Leighton FA, 2007. "Veterinary medicine for a world in crisis." Canadian Veterinary Journal. 48: 379-385.
- Jardine C, Waldner C, Wobeser G, Leighton FA. 2006. "Effect of experimental ectoparasite control on Bartonella infections in wild Richardson's ground squirrels." Journal of Wildlife Diseases. 42(4): 750-758.
- Jardine C, Waldner C, Wobeser G, Leighton FA. 2006. "Demographic features of Bartonella infections in Richardson's ground squirrels (Spermophilus richardsonii)." Journal of Wildlife Diseases. 42(4): 739-749.
- Jardine C, McColl D, Wobeser G, Leighton FA. 2006. "Diversity of Bartonella genotypes in Richardson's ground squirrel populations." Vector Borne Zoonotic Diseases. 6(4): 395-403.
- Artois M, Caron A, Leighton FA, Bunn C, Vallat B. 2006. "La faune sauvage et les maladies émergentes." Revue Scientifique et Technique de l'OIE. 25(3): 897-912.
- Monette S, Dallaire AD, Mingelbier M, Groman D, Uhland C, Richard JP, Paillard G, Johannson LM, Chivers DP, Ferguson HW, Leighton FA, Simko E. May 2006. "Massive mortality of common carp (Cyprinus carpio carpio) in the St. Lawrence River in 2001: diagnostic investigation and experimental induction of lymphocytic encephalitis." Veterinary Pathology. 43: 302-310.
- Jardine C, Appleyard G, Kosoy MY, McColl D, Chirino-Trejo M, Wobeser G, Leighton FA. 2005. "Rodent-associated Bartonella in Saskatchewan, Canada." Vector-Borne and Zoonotic Diseases. 5(4): 402-409.
- Kuiken T, Leighton FA, Fouchier RAM, LeDuc JW, Peiris JSM, Schudel A, Stöhr K, Osterhaus ADME. 2005. "Pathogen surveillance in animals." Science. 309: 1680,1681.
- Stephen C, Artsob H, Bowie WR, Drebot M, Fraser E, Leighton T, Morshed M, Ong C, Patrick D. 2004. "Perspectives on emerging zoonotic disease research and capacity building in Canada." Canadian Journal of Infectious Diseases and Medical Microbiology. 15(6): 339-344.
- Bengis RG, Leighton FA, Fischer JR, Artois M, Mörner T, Tate CM. 2004. "The role of wildlife in emerging and re-emerging zoonoses." Revue Scientifique et Technique de l'Office International des Epizooties. 23(2): 497-511.
- Philippa JDW, Leighton FA, Daoust PY, Nielsen O, Pagliarulo M, Schwantje H, Shury T, Van Herwijnen R, Martina BEE, Kuiken T, Van de Bildt MWG, Osterhaus ADME. 2004. "Antibodies to selected pathogens in free ranging terrestrial carnivores and marine mammals in Canada." Veterinary Record. 155: 135-140.
- Leighton FA. 2004. "Veterinary medicine and the lifeboat test: a perspective on the social relevance of the veterinary profession in the 21st century." Canadian Veterinary Journal. 45: 259, 26