Associate Professor, Medical Oncology,
Small Animal Clinical Sciences
Office Location: WCVM 2578
Dr. Valerie MacDonald-Dickinson is an associate professor of veterinary medical oncology in the Department of Small Animal Clinical Sciences.
Dr. MacDonald-Dickinson is currently on maternity leave until December 2015.
- BSc, University of Toronto, Trinity College
- DVM, University of PEI, Atlantic Veterinary College
- Residency, Medical Oncology, University of Wisconsin-Madison
- Diplomate, American College of Veterinary Internal Medicine (Oncology)
Teaching and Clinical Areas
Dr. MacDonald has started the first medical oncology service at the WCVM that includes clinical service, teaching for undergraduate and graduate students, and collaborative research at the University of Saskatchewan. She also works in conjunction with Dr. Monique Mayer in radiation oncology.
- patient quality of life
- human-animal bond
- novel cancer therapy development
- comparative oncology
- Thilikaratne DN, Mayer MN, MacDonald VS, Jackson ML, Trask, BR, and Kidney BA, 2010. "Clonality and Phenotyping of Canine Lymphomas During Remission Using PCR on Lymph Node Cytologic Smears and Peripheral Blood." Canadian Veterinary Journal, 51(1): 79-84.
- Mayer MN, Kerr ME, Grier CK and MacDonald VS. 2008. "Immunoglobulin A multiple myelomy with cutaneous involvement in a dog." Canadian Veterinary Journal. 49(7): 694-702.
- MacDonald VS, Thamm DH, Kurzman ID, Turek MM and Vail DM. 2005. "Does L-Asparaginase influence efficacy or toxicity when added to a standard CHOP protocol of dogs with lymphoma?" Journal of Veterinary Internal Medicine. 19(5): 732-736.
- Argyle DJ, Turek MM, MacDonald VS. 2008. "Canine and feline mammary tumors." Decision Making in Small Animal Oncology. Edited by Argyle DA, Brearley M, Turek MM. Ames, Iowa: Blackwell Publishing.
- MacDonald VS, Turek MM, Argyle DJ. 2008. "Tumors of the skin and subcutis." Decision Making in Small Animal Oncology. Edited by Argyle DA, Brearley M, Turek MM. Ames, Iowa: Blackwell Publishing.
Dr. MacDonald also writes Oncology Corner for the Canadian Veterinary Journal.