Small Animal Clinical Sciences
Office Location: WCVM 1253
Dr. Lynne Sandmeyer, a WCVM graduate, completed her Doctor of Veterinary Science (ophthalmology) degree at the University of Guelph. Dr. Sandmeyer is the Graduate Chair for the Department of Small Animal Clinical Sciences.
- DVM, Western College of Veterinary Medicine, University of Saskatchewan
- DVSc., Ontario Veterinary College, University of Guelph
- Diplomate, American College of Veterinary Ophthalmologists (ACVO)
Teaching and Clinical Areas
Dr. Sandmeyer joins veterinary ophthalmologist Dr. Bruce Grahn and Dr. Bianca Bauer in WCVM's very successful veterinary ophthalmology program. This includes clinical service within the small and large animal clinics of the VMC, as well as, graduate and undergraduate teaching, in addition to research. Dr. Sandmeyer is the Assistant Director of the Small Animal Clinic.
Dr. Sandmeyer has research interest in a variety of topics in veterinary ophthalmology. A primary focus has been congenital stationary night blindness (CSNB) and equine recurrent uveitis (ERU) in the Appaloosa horse. Other interests include hereditary and acquired ocular diseases in the dog, infectious conjunctivitis in cats, and ocular pathology. Current research interests include the use of optical coherence tomography in the diagnosis of retinal disease in veterinary species.
- Holly, VL, Sandmeyer, LS, Bauer, BS, Verges, L, Grahn, BH, 2015. Golden Retriever Cystic Uveal Disease: A Longitudinal Study of Uveal Cysts, Pigmentary Uveitis and Pigmentary/Cystic Glaucoma Over a Decade in Western Canada. Veterinary Ophthalmology. (Epub ahead of print DOI:10.1111/vop.12293).
- Sandmeyer LS, Vujanovic V, Petrie L, Campbell JR, Bauer BS, Allen AL, Grahn BH, 2015. Optic Neuropathy in a Herd of Beef Cattle in Alberta Associated with Consumption of Moldy Corn. Canadian Veterinary Journal, 56 (03): 249-256.
- Denk, N, Misra, V, Sandmeyer, LS, Bauer, BB, Singh, J, Forsyth, GW, Grahn, BH, 2015. Development of a Murine Ocular Posterior Segment Explant Culture for the Study of Intravitreous Vector Delivery. Canadian Journal of Veterinary Research, 79 (01): 31-38.
- Bellone, RR, Holl, H, Setaluri,V., Devi, S, Maddodi, N, Archer, S., Sandmeyer, L, Ludwig, A, Foerster, D, Pruvost, M, Reissmann, M, Bortfeldt, R, Adelson, D, Lim, SL, Nelson, J, Haase, B, Engensteiner, M, Leeb,T, Forsyth, G, Mienaltowski, MJ, Hofreiter, M, Paijmans, JL, Gonzalez-Fortes, G, Grahn, BH, Brooks, SA. Evidence for a Retroviral Insertion in TRPM1 as the Cause of Congenital Stationary Night Blindness and Leopard Complex Spotting in the Horse. PLOS ONE 8. 2013. (10) e78280.
- Garcia da Silva, E, Sandmeyer, LS, Gionfriddo, JJ, Montiani-Ferreira, F, 2013. Tear Production in Canine Neonates – Evaluation Using a Modified Schirmer Tear Test. Veterinary Ophthalmology, 16 (3): 175-179.
- Bauer, BS, Kerr, ME, Sandmeyer, LS, Grahn, BH, 2013. Positive Immunostaining for Feline Infectious Peritonitis (FIP) in a Sphinx Cat with Cutaneous Lesions and Bilateral Panuveitis. Veterinary Ophthalmology, 16; supplement 1: 160-163.
- Bauer, BS, Sandmeyer, LS, Hall, RH, Grahn, BH, 2012. Immunohistochemical Evaluation of Fibrovascular and Cellular Pre-Iridal Membranes in Dogs. Veterinary Ophthalmology, Supp. 1: 54-59.
- Denk, N, Sandmeyer, LS, Lim, CC, Bauer, BS, Grahn BH, 2011. A Retrospective Study of the Clinical, Histological and Immunohistochemical Manifestations of 5 Dogs Originally Diagnosed Histologically as Necrotizing Scleritis. Veterinary Ophthalmology, 15:102-109.
- Sandmeyer, LS, Bellone, RB, Archer, S, Bauer, BS, Nelson, J, Forsyth, G, Grahn, BH, 2011. Congenital Stationary Night Blindness is Associated with the Leopard Complex in the Miniature Horse. Veterinary Ophthalmology, 15: 18-22.
- Lim, CC, Bakker, SC, Waldner,CL, Sandmeyer, LS, Grahn, BH, 2011. Cataracts in 44 Dogs (77 Eyes): A Comparison of Outcomes for No Treatment, Topical Medical Management, or Phacoemulsification with Intraocular Lens Implantation. Canadian Veterinary Journal, 52: 283-288.
- Sandmeyer, L, Bauer, BS, Breaux, CB, Grahn, BH, 2011. Congenital Nasolacrimal Atresia in 4 Alpacas. Canadian Veterinary Journal, 52: 313-317.
- Bauer, BS, Forsyth, GW, Sandmeyer, LS, Grahn, BH, 2010. Mitochondrial Transcription Factor A (Tfam) Gene Sequencing and Mitochondrial Evaluation in Inherited Retinal Dysplasia in Miniature Schnauzer Dogs. Canadian Journal of Veterinary Research, 75: 134-140.
- Bauer, BS, Forsyth, GW, Sandmeyer, LS, Grahn, BH, 2010. Relative Quantification of White Blood Cell Mitochondrial DNA and Assessment of Mitochondria by Use of Transmission Electron Microscopy in English Springer Spaniels with and without Retinal Dysplasia. American Journal of Veterinary Research, 71: 454-459.
- Bellone, RR, Archer, S, Wade, CM, Cuka-Lawson, C, Haase, B, Leeb, T, Forsyth, G, Sandmeyer, LS, Grahn, BH, 2010. Association Analysis of Candidate SNPs in TRPM1 with Leopard Complex Spotting (LP) and Congenital Stationary Night Blindness (CSNB). Animal Genetics, 41 (suppl 2): 207.
- Bellone, RR, Forsyth, G, Leeb, T, Archer, S, Sigurdsson, S, Imsland, F, Mauceli, E, Engensteiner, M, Bailey, E, Sandmeyer, L, Grahn, B, Lindblad-Toh, Wade, C, 2010. Fine Mapping and Mutational Analysis of TRPM1, a Candidate Gene for Leopard Complex (LP) Spotting and Congenital Stationary Night Blindness (CSNB) in Horses. Briefings in Functional Genomics, 9(3): 193-207.