Professor, Small Animal Medicine,
Small Animal Clinical Sciences
Office Location: WCVM 2444
Dr. Taylor is on sabbatical leave until September 1, 2014.
- DVM, Cornell University
- Internship, University of Minnesota
- Medicine Residency, University of California — Davis
- Diplomate, American College of Veterinary Internal Medicine
Teaching and Clinical Areas
Dr. Taylor is a professor in the Department of Small Animal Clinical Sciences and works as a staff internist in the Small Animal Clinic of the Veterinary Teaching Hospital. She also coordinates the WCVM radioactive iodine treatment program for hyperthyroid cats.
Dr. Taylor moved to Canada to join the WCVM staff in 1985. Her professional interests include neurology, respiratory medicine and infectious and immune-mediated diseases.
Dr. Taylor's areas of active research include medical, neuromuscular and neurological problems affecting canine athletes (sled dogs, field trial retrievers and working Border collies). She is actively investigating the inherited disorder, exercise induced collapse (EIC) in Labrador retrievers and a similar disorder in Border collies (Border collie collapse or BCC). As well, she is studying a distinct partial seizure disorder (atypical epilepsy, paroxysmal dyskinesia) in Labrador retrievers and focal sezure disorders manifesting with autonomic signs in all breeds.
- Beggs AH, Böhm J, Snead E, Kozlowski M, Maurer M, Minor K, Childers MK, Taylor SM, Hitte C, Mickelson JR, Guo LT, Mizisin AP, Buj-Bello A, Tiret L, Laporte J, Shelton GD. 2010. "MTM1 Mutation Associated with X-linked Myotubular Myopathy in Labrador Retrievers." Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, 107(33): 14697-14702.
- Dhumeaux MP, Snead EC, Hung GC, Taylor SM. 2010. "Progesterone Intoxication Inducing Marked Anisocoria in a Cat." Journal of Feline Medicine and Surgery, 12(10): 811-813.
- Stewart SA, Gaunt MC, Taylor SM, Snead ECR. 2009. "Accidental Entrapment of Cats in Front-Loading Washing Machines: Two Cases." Canadian Veterinary Journal, 51(9): 1003-1006.
- Nibblett BMD, Snead ECR, Waldner C, Taylor SM, Jackson ML, Knorr LM. 2010. "Hemotropic Mycoplasma Prevalence in Shelter and Client-Owned Cats in Saskatchewan and a Comparison of Polymerase Chain Reaction PCR Results from Two Independent Laboratories." Canadian Journal of Veterinary Research, 74(2): 91-96.
- Ravi M, Wobeser GA, Taylor SM, Jackson ML. 2010. "Naturally Acquired Feline Immunodeficiency Virus (FIV) Infection in Cats from Western Canada: Prevalence, Disease Associations and Survival Analysis." Canadian Veterinary Journal, 51:271-276.
- Cosford KM, Taylor SM. 2010. "Exercise intolerance in Retrievers." Veterinary Medicine. February. 14 pages.
Books and Book Chapters
- Taylor SM. 2010. Small Animal Clinical Techniques. Maryland Heights, MO: Elsevier.
- Taylor SM. 2009. "Neurologic disease." Small Animal Internal Medicine - 4th edition. Edited by Nelson RW and Cuoto CG. (10): 983-1118.
- Taylor SM. 2009. "Joint disease." Small Animal Internal Medicine - 4th edition. Edited by Nelson RW and Cuoto CG. (20): 1119-1142.