Campus Website Guidelines
This document provides information pertaining to campus website development, and is directed primarily to U of S web information providers.
1.0 Policy Considerations
1.1 Policies Adherence
- Campus information providers must comply with current collective agreement stipulations, official University of Saskatchewan Policies, and related institutional documentation.
- Campus information providers must also abide by applicable provincial and federal laws, including but not limited to the Canadian Copyright Act, the Charter of Rights and Freedoms, the Criminal Code and Defamation Law, and the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Legislation.
1.2 Logo Usage
- Please refer to the University of Saskatchewan Visual Identity policy.
1.3 Advertising & Sponsorship
- Please refer to the University of Saskatchewan Advertising policy.
2.0 Content Considerations
- Campus information providers should provide websites that facilitate information access by the broadest possible range of web users. For more information, visit the Accessibility and Usability sections of the Web Project site.
2.2 Content and Design
- Campus information providers should provide websites that support University of Saskatchewan goals and objectives.
- Campus information providers should consider the goals and objectives of their units prior to providing links to external organizations, and may wish to contact the organization regarding preferred link locations.
- Campus information providers have access to a number of web development resources, including logos, accompanying visuals and templates.
- The University of Saskatchewan does not monitor website content. Complaints will be examined by University Communications and Information Technology Services to determine whether or not existing laws or policies have been violated.
- Campus unit heads and/or designated webmasters are responsible for ensuring their website content is accurate and up to date.
- To avoid duplication and inaccuracy of information, campus information providers should link to official institutional pages whenever possible.
3.0 Technical Considerations
3.1 Allocation for Institutional Websites
- Server space policies vary according to the server in question. Campus information providers should contact the appropriate server manager for further information.
- Campus units (academic and administrative) are eligible for 100 MB of space on the WWW server. Additional space may be available on request.
- Campus projects are eligible for space within the allocation provided to units coordinating the initiatives.
- Members of the campus community are eligible for personal web space on campus servers, including but not limited to Homepage.
3.2 Allocation for Affiliated Websites
- Affiliated organizations may be granted space if they are non-profit, educational or research-based, and if they have a formal relationship with the University of Saskatchewan.
- A college or department may allocate a portion of its space to an affiliated organization and assume responsibility for this information.
3.3 Web Accounts
- Web accounts are provided to University of Saskatchewan employees and/or information providers authorized by the appropriate unit head. Account request forms are available at the Help Desk. Call 966-4817 or email email@example.com.
- Off-campus information providers may access institutional servers via ftp or ssh. Telnet access is not available at this time.
3.4 Virtual Domains
- Campus units eligible for web space may request a virtual domain. If possible, the domain should retain the reference to "usask.ca".
- Where to Start
- Teaching & Technology
- U of S Policies
- U of S Home Page Guidelines
- Campus Website Guidelines
- Events Calendar Guidelines
- Visual Identity Guidelines