Communications & Promotion
General Strategies for Promoting a Website
- Include the website URL in print pieces such as news releases, publications, business cards, letterhead,
- Include the website URL in other communication vehicles, such as commercials, videos, and CD ROMs, as well as on
promotional items, such as bookmarks, pens, mousepads, and
- Ask everyone in the organization to create e-mail "signatures" that include the website URL.
- Contact affiliated partners and related organizations with websites. Request the addition of a link to your site and,
if possible, offer to include a reciprocal link.
- Enhance your profile in major search engines. Some basic search engine placement tips are available in the Search Engine
Watch website (www.searchenginewatch.com/webmasters/tips.html). Additional
information regarding indexing and ranking is available in the major search engine websites.
- Use free on-line services related to search engine profile. SiteOwner (www.siteowner.com) allows you to announce your
to multiple search engines, and use Did-it (www.Did-it.com) allows you to monitor your profile in major search engines.
Promoting Campus Websites within the U of S Website
- Add your website to the U of S Services and Resources Index. This index is maintained manually by the U of S
central webmasters, and is located at www.usask.ca/services/. If your site is already
listed, verify the entry is accurate.
- Improve your rankings by Harvest, the main campus search
engine, and Google U of S, another popular search engine. For more
information, refer to the search engine
- Profile your website through the What's New on the Web page. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org and the U of S central webmasters will ensure your site is listed at
Promoting Campus Events within the U of S Website
- Add your activity to the events column of the U of S home page. To obtain home page
profile, you must submit an entry to
the U of S general events calendar (see below).
- Add your activity to the U of S general events calendar. Further information is available on the Events page at www.usask.ca/events/calendar/. The central webmasters profile
calendar entries in the events column of the U of S home page. Please
note some restrictions may apply, due to space constraints.
- Issue a press release for newsworthy
activities of interest to the off-campus community. University
Communications posts release headlines on the U of
page, and circulates this information via a campus e-mail list. For more information, call 966-6607 or e-mail email@example.com.
- Post event information on the Usask.General newsgroup. This newsgroup provides information of interest to U of S
faculty, staff, and students, and is restricted to use by individuals with campus accounts. The newsgroup is located at news:usask.general.
- Create an event website or page. Request web space from the sponsoring
department(s) and promote the site using some or all of
the suggestions listed above.