The Technology Assessment is an all-inclusive approach to evaluating the potential purchase or requests for additions/changes to information systems.
Proposals are analyzed for concerns in 4 main areas: risk, compliance, business continuity, and organizational fit with representation from several different disciplines across the institution, including Enterprise Architecture, Strategic and Operational Procurement, Security (Data and Network), Privacy and Risk.
Recommendations based on the assessment are provided to address concerns using both contractual (vendor) controls and operational (USask) support requirements. The review process will ensure the chosen solution:
- will work with the other technologies at the university
- will meet organizational and operational requirements
- will be compliant with all security, privacy and data standards
- is priced appropriately for the service, and
- will ensure any additional considerations have been addressed, including the Total Cost of Ownership.
Typically, the assessment process follows a standard review sequence. This can be altered based on the scale of the review and when the Technology Assessment team is brought into the evaluation process. Early engagement with the Technology Assessment team will deliver the best outcomes and a more efficient process. We are ready to assist you right from the initiation stage of your project.
The university has a number of policies that should be considered before adopting information technologies.
- Enterprise Risk Management
- Data Management
- IT Security
- Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy
- Use Of Materials Protected by Copyright
- Computer Use
- IT Communications Policy - Replaced the Electronic Mail (e-mail) Policy
- Use of University Property and Services
- Management of University Records
If you have questions about completing the form or require additional support, please contact the Technology Assessment team at email@example.com.