Sustainable Beef Systems Research Group
Dr. Reuben Mapletoft received a DVM from the University of Guelph in 1967, and MS (1975) and PhD (1977) degrees in Endocrinology and Reproductive Physiology from the University of Wisconsin. He joined the WCVM as Director of Clinical Research in 1977. He became Head of the Department of Herd Medicine and Theriogenology (now Large Animal Clinical Sciences) in 1998. In July, 2002, Dr. Mapletoft took a one year Leave of Absence to consult with Bioniche Animal Health, which has led to a 50% appointment with the University of Saskatchewan.
Dr. Mapletoft's research in reproductive biology and the application of assisted reproductive technologies in cattle spans more than 30 years. He is a Past-president of the International Embryo Transfer Society (IETS) and Founding President of the Canadian Embryo Transfer Association (CETA), and he was Chairman of the Import/Export Committee of the IETS for 10 years. He is currently a member of the Certification Committee of CETA and several IETS committees.
Dr. Mapletoft is also very active in technology transfer; he has given over 150 invited lectures in more than 30 countries and has trained graduate students from all over the world. He has contributed more than 300 papers to published conference proceedings, and authored more than 130 refereed publications. He has conducted over 3 dozen embryo transfer workshops for more than 200 veterinary professionals from around the world. In 2003, the University of Saskatchewan honored Reuben with its Distinguished Researcher Award, and in 2005, he was awarded and Earned Doctorate by the university of Saskatchewan.
Dr. Mapletoft is well known for his work in bovine embryo transfer, estrus synchronization and superovulation. His embryo transfer protocols have become the de facto standard for clinical use worldwide, and he has been instrumental in developing the embryo transfer industry in Canada and around the world. Much of Dr. Mapletoft's recent work has revolved around the manipulation of ovarian follicular wave dynamics for superovulation, estrus synchronization and timed-breeding in cattle. He also has an active research program utilizing in vitro fertilization technology to evaluate oocyte competence and the effect of sperm morphology on fertilization and zygote development. His team is also researching the use of non-biological additives in the culture of oocytes and embryos and the cryopreservation of sperm, oocytes and embryos.
Current Research Projects
- Timed Artificial Insemination (AI) in Cattle: Improving Use and Pregnancy Rates.
- Development of Synthetic Extenders for the Cryopreservation of Bull and Boar Semen.
- Developmental Competence of Oocytes in Cattle.
- Mapletoft, R.J., G.A. Boe and G. P. Adams. 2007 Superovulation in the cow:
Effects of Gonadotrophins and Follicular Wave Status. Journal of Reproduction
and Development. 52:S7-S18.
- Dochi, O. and R. J. Mapletoft. 2007. The Use of Embryo Transfer for Improvement
of fertility in Lactating Dairy Cows. Journal of Reproduction and Development.
- Mapletoft, R. J. 2006. Understanding the Application of Bovine Embryo Transfer.
In: I.V.I.S. (Ed.), IVIS Reviews in Veterinary Medicine. Ithaca: International
Veterinary Information Service (www.ivis.org);
Document No. R0104.1106.
- Colazo, M.G., J.P. Kastelic, J.A. Small, R.E. Wilde, D.R. Ward and R.J. Mapletoft.
of Estrus in Beef Cattle: Ovarian Function, Estrus and Fertility following Progestin
Treatment and Treatments to Synchronize Ovarian Follicular Development and Estrus.
Canadian Veterinary Journal. 48:49-56.
- Martinez, M.F., J.P. Kastelic and R.J. Mapletoft. 2007. Effects of Estradiol
on Gonadotrophin Release, Estrus and Ovulation in CIDR-treated Beef Cattle.
Domestic Animal Endocrinology. 33:77-90.
- Colazo, M.G., J.P. Kastelic, H. Davis, M.D. Rutledge, M.F. Martinez, J.A.
Small and R.J. Mapletoft. 2007.
Effects of Plasma Progesterone Concentrations on LH Release and Ovulation in
Beef Cattle given GnRH. Domestic Animal Endocrinology. 34:109-117.
- Colazo, M.G., J.P. Kastelic, Q.A. Gavaga, P.R. Whittaker, J.A. Small, M.F.
Martinez, R.E. Wilde, D.M. Veira and R. J. Mapletoft. 2006. Resynchronization
of Previously Timed-inseminated Beef Heifers with Progestins. Theriogenology.
- Mapletoft, R.J. and Hasler, J.F., 2005. Assisted Reproductive Technologies
in Cattle: A Review. Rev. sci. tech. Off. Int. Epiz., 24, 393-403.
- Colazo, M.G., Martínez, M.F., Small, J.A., Kastelic, J.P., Burnley, C.A., Ward, D. and Mapletoft, R.J., 2005. Effects of Estradiol Valerate on Ovarian Follicle Dynamics and Superovulatory Response in Progestin-treated Cattle. Theriogenology, 63, 1454-1468.
- Martínez, M.F., Kastelic, J.P., Bó, G.A., Caccia, M. and Mapletoft, R.J., 2005. Effects of Oestradiol and Some of its Esters on Gonadotrophin Release and Ovarian Follicular Dynamics in CIDR-treated Beef Cattle. Animal Reproduction Science, 86, 37-52.
- Martínez, M.F., Kastelic, J.P. and Mapletoft, R.J., 2004. The Use of Estradiol and/or GnRH in a Two-dose PGF Protocol for Breeding Management of Beef Heifers. Theriogenology, 62, 363-372.
- Colazo, M.G., Kastelic, J.P., Martinez, M.F., Whittaker, P.R., Wilde, R., Ambrose, J.D., Corbett, R. and Mapletoft, R.J., 2004. Fertility Following Fixed-time AI in CIDR-Treated Beef Heifers given GnRH or Estradiol Cypionate and Fed Diets Supplemented with Flax Seed or Sunflower Seed. Theriogenology, 61, 1115-1124.
- Colazo, M.G., Kastelic, J.P., Whittaker, P.R., Gavaga, Q.A., Wilde, R. and Mapletoft, R.J., 2004. Fertility in Beef Cattle given a New or Previously Used CIDR Insert and Estradiol, with or without Progesterone. Animal Reproduction Science, 81, 25-34.
- Mapletoft, R.J., Martinez, M.F., Colazo, M.G. and Kastelic, J.P., 2003. The Use of Controlled Internal Drug Release Devices for the Regulation of Bovine Reproduction. Journal of Animal Science, 81(E. Suppl. 2):E28-E36.
- Vassena, R., Mapletoft, R. J., Allodi, S., Singh, J. and Adams, G. P., 2003.
and Developmental Competence of Bovine Oocytes Relative to Follicular Status.
Theriogenology, 60, 923-932.
- Colazo, M. G., Kastelic, J. P. and Mapletoft, R. J., 2003.
Effects of Estradiol Cypionate (ECP) on Ovarian Follicular Dynamics, Synchrony
of Ovulation and Fertility in CIDR-based, Fixed-time AI Programs in Beef Heifers.
Theriogenology, 60, 855-865.
- Martinez, M.F., Mapletoft, R.J., Kastelic, J.P. and Carruthers, T.D., 2003.
Effects of Three Gonadorelin Products on Luteinizing Hormone Release, Ovulation,
and Follicular Wave Emergence in cattle. Canadian Veterinary Journal, 44:125-131.
- Vassena, R., Adams, G.P., Mapletoft, R.J., Pierson, R.A. and Singh, J, 2003. Ultrasound Image Characteristics of Ovarian Follicles in Relation to Oocyte Competence and Follicular Status in Cattle. Animal Reproduction Science, 76, 25-41.
- Martinez, M.F., Kastelic, J.P., Adams, G.P. and Mapletoft, R.J., 2002. The Use of a Progesterone-releasing Device (CIDR-B) or Melengestrol Acetate with GnRH, LH, or Estradiol Benzoate for Fixed-time AI in Beef Heifers. Journal of Animal Science, 80, 1746-1751.
- Thundathil, J., Barth, A.D. and Mapletoft, R.J., 2002. Plasma
Membrane and Acrosomal Integrity in Bovine Spermatozoa with the Knobbed Acrosome
Defect. Theriogenology, 58, 87-102.
- Colazo, M.G., Martinez, M.F., Kastelic, J.P. and Mapletoft, R.J., 2002. Effects
of Dose and Route of Administration of Cloprostenol on Luteolysis, Estrus, and
Ovulation in Beef Heifers. Animal Reproduction Science, 72, 47-62.
- Colazo, M.G., Martinez, M.F., Kastelic, J.P., Mapletoft, R.J. and Carruthers,
T.D., 2002. The
Ischiorectal Fossa: An Alternate Route for the Administration of Prostaglandin
in Cattle. Canadian Veterinary Journal, 43, 535-541.
- Mapletoft, R.J., Bennett-Steward, K. and Adams, G.P., 2002. Recent
Advances in the Superovulation of Cattle. Reproduction Nutrition and Development,
- Bo, G.A., Baruselli, P.S., Moreno, D., Cutaia, L., Caccia, M., Tribulo, R., Tribulo, H. and Mapletoft, R.J., 2002. The Control of Follicular Wave Development for Self-appointed Embryo Transfer Programs in Cattle. Theriogenology, 57, 53-72.
- Martinez, M.F., Kastelic, J.P., Adams, G.P., Cook, R.B., Olson, W.O. and Mapletoft,
R.J., 2002. The
Use of Progestins in Regimens for Fixed-time Artificial Insemination in Beef
Cattle. Theriogenology, 57, 1049-1059.
Mapletoft' s Department Webpage
This webpage was last updated on March 12, 2010. The linked pages in this
series may have been updated more recently however.
back to Sustainable Beef Systems Research Group Homepage