Sustainable Beef Systems Research Group
Dr. Shand obtained her B.H.Ec. from the University of Manitoba, her M.Sc. from the University of Alberta and her Ph.D. from Colorado State University.
- Postmortem tenderization strategies, with emphasis on mature beef
- Value-added processing of meats
- Protein functionality in foods from beef
Research projects have included studies in meat science and technology, protein functionality in food and meat systems, sensory evaluation, food processing, and product development.
- Pietrasik, Z., Aalhus, J.L., Gibson, L.L. and Shand, P.J. 2010. Influence of blade tenderization, moisture enhancement and pancreatin enzyme treatment on the processing characteristics and tenderness of beef semitendinosus muscle. Meat Science. 84: 512-517.
- Sanjeewa*, W.G.T., Wanasundara, J.P.D., Pietrasik, Z. and Shand, P.J. 2010. Characterization of chickpea (Cicer arietinum L.) flours and application in low-fat pork bologna as a model system. Food Research International. 43: 617-626. *M.Sc. student
- Dadgar*, S., Lee, E.S., Leer, T.L.V., Burlinguette, N., Classen, H. L., Crowe, T.G. and Shand, P.J. 2010. Effect of microclimate temperature during transportation of broiler chickens on quality of the pectoralis major muscle. Poultry Science. 89:1033-1041. *Ph.D. student
- Golding-Myers, J.D., Showers, C.D., Shand, P.J. and Rosser, B.W.C. 2010. Muscle fiber type and the occurrence of pale, soft, exudative pork. Journal of Muscle Foods 21:484-498.
- Marambe*, P.W.M.L.H.K., Shand, P.J. and Wanasundara, J.P.D. 2008. An in vitro investigation of selected biological activities of hydrolyzed flaxseed (Linum usitatissiumum L.) proteins. Journal of the American Oil Chemists’ Society. 85: 1155-1164 * Ph.D. student
Phyllis Shand's Department Webpage
This webpage was last updated on Jan., 2011. The linked pages in
this series may have been updated more recently however.
back to Sustainable Beef Systems Research Group Homepage