Bring the whole family to the Diefenbaker Canada Centre’s Little Stone Schoolhouse for “Victorian Christmas” and learn about Christmas traditions from the early 1900s! In the 90-minute program, children will learn the differences between Christmas today and in the past. Activities include creating your own Victorian Christmas decoration, playing a Victorian parlour game, singing a traditional Christmas song, and listening to a reading of “‘Twas the Night Before Christmas”.
This program is best suited for children ages 6 to 10. Parents are required to stay with their child for the duration of the program.
Please join us on December 15 or 16 at 1:00 p.m. by registering below.
Cost is $5 per child. Payment can be made by calling 306-966-8384 to provide credit card information or in cash on the day of the program.
The program includes Christian themes to maintain the authenticity of a Victorian Christmas.
Please note that the Little Stone Schoolhouse does not have electricity, running water, or a washroom on site and is a historical building. The nearest washrooms are located in St. Andrew’s College and the Health Sciences Building.
Please meet at the Little Stone Schoolhouse for the program. Located off College Drive via the Hospital Drive turn off.
The original Victoria School, now known as the Little Stone Schoolhouse (LSS), was built in 1887 by Alexander Marr, known for owning the Marr residence, currently the oldest residential building in Saskatoon. The LSS became Saskatoon's first school and public building. The one-room school house was used until a two room school house was constructed in 1905, followed by an even larger Victoria School in 1909, officially assuming the role of the original Victoria School.
In 1911 the Imperial Order Daughters of the Empire raised funds to preserve and relocate the building to the University of Saskatchewan campus. Almost 50 years later, in 1967, the Saskatoon Council of Women raised money to renovate the building and officially opened the LSS as a museum. Later that year the LSS was declared a Municipal Heritage Site and eventually Provincial Heritage Property in 1982.
The Little Stone Schoolhouse Today
The Little Stone Schoolhouse (LSS) continues to play an important role in the Saskatoon community and on the University of Saskatchewan campus. The U of S took over the operation of the building in 1981 and the Diefenbaker Canada Centre has ensured the continued appreciation of this historical landmark. The main Little Stone Schoolhouse program focuses on a historical introduction and the docent roleplaying as a school teacher. There are also add on programs such as pioneer life, based on artefacts used by pioneers, and pioneer games, based on pioneer era entertainment. There are also annual public open houses so everyone is able to enjoy the LSS!
You can find further information on LSS educational programming here.
Contact us to book your program!
Hours of Operation
The Little Stone Schoolhouse is open July 1-7 and August 5-11, from 11am-2pm. Visit us off College Drive (use the Hospital Drive turnoff) to explore Saskatoon's first school and learn more about its history.