February - Outbound
- During the February break, Drs. Randy Kutcher (Plant Sciences) and Hugo Cota-Sanchez (Biology) lead a student tour to Ecuador to visit and interact with students and faculty at two of our partner institutions, ESPE in Quito and ESPOCH in Riobamba.
March - Inbound
- Iwate University, Morioka, Japan - delegates included Dr. Matsuo Uemura, Vice President of International Relations and Public Liaison, Iwate University, Dr. Jun Kasuga, Obihiro University of Agriculture and Veterinary Medicine and UGAS, and Mr. Satoshi Yoshida, Sun-Farm Ltd. Meetings took place to discuss summer internship programs.
May - Inbound
- Confucius Institute Headquarters (CIH) – Hanban, China - delegates included Mr. Yongli Wang, Deputy Chief Executive, CIH and Executive Deputy Director General, Hanban; Ms. Shifang Ren, Deputy Director of the Division of American and Oceanian Confucius Institutes, CIH; Mr. Songming Qu, Senior Program Officer of the Division of American and Oceanian Confucius Institutes, CIH; and Ms. Xiaobin Li, Program Officer of the Division of American and Oceanian Confucius Institutes, CIH. The group was hosted to a welcome dinner reception by Dr. Karen Chad, Vice-President Research. They visited our U of S Confucius Institute and met with the Board of Directors and Management Committee, followed by a meeting with U of S President Peter Stoicheff.
- Trans-Atlantic Science Student Exchange Program (TASSEP), Europe - delegates included Dr. Hans Uffe Sperling-Petersen from Aarhus University in Denmark, outgoing TASSEP leader, and Dr. Anne-Lise Poquet Dhimane from the Université Pierre et Marie Curie in France, incoming TASSEP leader. The U of S has an exchange agreement with TASSEP. The delegates met with representatives from the International Students and Study Abroad Centre, the International Office, and the College of Arts and Science.
- University of York, UK - delegates included Hilary Layton, Director Internationalization; Professor Ian Graham, Head Biology; Professor Sue Hartley, Director of York Environment and Sustainability Institute; and Professor Alistair Boxall, Environment Department. The group met with various representatives from the Global Institute for Food Security (GIFS) and Dr. Graham gave a presentation on “molecular breeding of medicinal crops and discoveries along the way”.
- University of Lagos, Nigeria - delegates included President (Vice-Chancellor) Rahmon Ade Bello; Professor Akindele Babatunde Oyebode, Chairman, Office of International Relations, Prospects and Partnerships & Professor of Law; Professor Solomon Oladele Akinboye, Dean, School of Postgraduate Studies & Professor of Political Sciences; Professor Samuel Iyiola Oni, Dean, Faculty of Social Sciences & Professor of Geography; and Professor Olufunlayo Olaotan Bammeke, Acting Head, Department of Sociology. The group toured the Canadian Light Source (CLS), and had a formal luncheon with senior U of S administration. A special ceremony was held for the signing of a new MOU.
- University of Greifswald, Germany -delegate was Katharina Schmitt, Director of the International Office. Ms. Schmitt met with representatives from the International Office (IO) and the International Students and Study Abroad Centre (ISSAC) to discuss the current exchange agreement. Ms. Schmitt presented and information session to students about the University of Greifswald. Meetings were also held with representatives from the College of Arts and Science, St. Thomas More Modern Language Department, and Saskatchewan Population Health and Evaluation Research Unit (SPHERU).
- Ghent University, Belgium - delegate was Ms. Ann Van Hauwaert, International Office/International Training Center, and Faculty of Bioscience Engineering. Ms. Van Hauwaert toured campus and the CLS, then met with representatives from GIFS, ISSAC, IO and the College of Graduate Studies and Research, to discuss future collaborations.
June - Inbound
- Barcelona University, Spain – Delegate visited College of Education to discuss potential student exchange.
- University of Birmingham, UK – Delegate from History, American and Canadian Studies met with the International Office (IO) to discuss study abroad.
- Ambassador of Ukraine to Canada – Visit to discuss potential partnerships; toured VIDO, & GIFs.
- Escuela Politécnica del Ejército, Ecuador – Delegation met with ESPE students attending U of S, IO, the College of Graduate Studies and Research (CGSR) and the School of Public Policy. They toured Biology, Plant Sciences and Geological Sciences laboratories.
- University of Canberra, Australia – The delegate, Study Abroad & Exchange Coordinator, toured campus, Gordon Oakes Red Bear Centre, and met with representatives of the Indigenous Student Centre and the International Students and Study Abroad Centre (ISSAC) to discuss Aboriginal Student Exchange. Ms. McCullogh also met with IO and received an introduction to U of S Aboriginal Studies.
July - Inbound
- Minister Counsellor of Education, Chinese Embassy to Canada, Ottawa – The delegates, Minister Counsellor of Education and First Secretary met with AVP-Research, IO, CGSR, ISSAC, the Chinese Students’ and Scholars’ Association, and the Confucius Institute.
- National Institute of Food Technology Entrepreneurship and Management (NIFTEM), India – Nine undergraduate students and one faculty member from NIFTEM toured facilities in the College of Agriculture and Bioresources, and attended a series of seminars to learn about the U of S. Students received a certificate of participation for this summer research internship program.
- Jilin Provincial Government, China – Three delegates, Deputy Director General, Vice President Division of European, American, Oceanian & African Affairs, and Director of Division of Liaison, accompanied by a representative of the SK Ministry of Economy, met with the Beef Industry Chair and representatives of the OVPR, SESD, CGSR, and IO.
August - Inbound
- Huazhong Agricultural University, China – Three delegates, Associate Dean of Teaching Affairs Department, Youth League Committee of the Minister of Publicity Section, and Officer of the Department of International Cooperation and Exchanges, met with the Department of Plant Science to discuss potential collaboration, and with ISSAC, IO and the Language Centre to discuss promoting the dual degree program with Sociology and other potential collaboration.
- Ministry of Economy, Saskatchewan – Director, Greater China, Performance and Strategic Initiatives, Government of Saskatchewan met with representatives of IO to discuss approaches for closer collaboration between the Government and the U of S.
September - Inbound
- Iwate University, Japan – Six delegates, VP International Liaison and Public Relations, Associate Professor of Cryobiosystems Science & Coordinator of the International Affair Section of the United Graduate School of Agricultural Sciences (UGAS), two faculty members of Bioproduction Science, UGAS, and two administrative staff of UGAS met with CGSR, the Department of Food & Bioproduct Sciences, the Department of Plant Science, IO, the Language Centre, the Department of Biology, the Gwenna Moss Centre for Teaching Effectiveness, and the Department of Biochemistry. Delegates toured campus, the Canadian Light Source (CLS) and Agricultural Facilities.
- Morinomiya University, Japan – Two delegates from the Student Support Office met with IO and the Language Centre to introduce the institution and to discuss establishing a short-term program.
- Osaka University, Japan – One delegate, Professor of the Graduate School of Engineering Sciences and Director of the Centre for Promotion of Advanced Interdisciplinary Research met with IO and CGSR to discuss a Dual Doctoral Degree Program. The Professor also met with faculty members from the Department of Physics to discuss research collaborations and later toured the CLS.
September - Outbound
- Presidential Trip to China: U of S representatives led by President Peter Stoicheff visited China from September 19-30. The U of S delegation visited the Consulate General of Canada in Hong Kong, Hong Kong Baptist University, China Scholarship Council, Confucius Institute Headquarters (Hanban), Beijing Normal University, Beijing Institute of Technology, Huazhong Agricultural University, Wuhan Conservatory of Music (WHCM), and Hubei Institute of Fine Arts. The delegation also attended alumni events in Hong Kong and Beijing, and a WHCM concert.
October - Inbound
- University of Lagos, Nigeria – Delegate met with faculty members in the Analysis for Innovation in Health Research Laboratory (SAFIHR), the Survey and Group Analysis Laboratory (SGAL), the Qualitative Research Laboratory (QRL), the Community-Based Observation Laboratory / Video Therapy Analysis Laboratory (ViTAL), the Social Network Laboratory (SNL), the Department of Geography and Planning, and the College of Graduate and Postdoctoral Studies. They toured the SAFIHR, SGAL, QRL, COL, ViTAL, and SNL Labs. Discussions were on next steps in our new partnership.
- Ambassador of Japan to Canada – Delegates met with Finance, Administration and Human Resources, Natural Products Canada Regional Director, AgWest Bio, and POS Biosciences. They toured Ag-West Bio and POS Biosciences.
- Embassy of France in Canada, Consulate of France in Vancouver – Delegates met with U of S President, Dr. Peter Stoicheff, Vice-President Research, Dr. Karen Chad, representatives from the International Office (IO) and the International Students and Study Abroad Centre (ISSAC), the Department of Languages, Literatures & Cultural Studies, the School of Public Health, and the Global Institute for Food Security (GIFS). They toured the Canadian Light Source and GIFS.
November - Inbound
- Consul General of the UK in Calgary – Delegates met with Dr. Diane Martz, Director, International Research and Partnerships.
- Luleå University of Technology, Sweden – Delegate met with representatives from IO, ISSAC, College of Arts & Science and Edwards School of Business.
- University of Liverpool – Delegate met with representatives from IO, ISSAC, College of Arts and Science, Edwards School of Business, and College of Law.
- Consul General of Italy in Vancouver – November 15, 2016. The Consul General and the Deputy Consul General were accompanied by two Senior International Officers with the Saskatchewan Government. Delegates had meetings with Rob Norris, Senior Strategist, Research Partnerships; Harvey Brooks, General Manager, Sask Wheat Development Commission; and Connie Briggs, Bread Wheat Quality Manager, Grains Innovation Laboratory. The group toured the Grains Laboratory and the CLS
November - Outbound
- U of S Students Union (USSU) trip to the UK: a group of four students from the USSU, along with Leslie Bowditch from the International Students and Study Abroad Centre, visited a number of universities in the UK from November 4 – 13. They met with the National Union of Students, as well as with representatives from the student unions of Essex, Birmingham, Sheffield and Edinburgh Universities. This site visit tour was based on the recognition of the critical role that the University of Saskatchewan Students’ Union (USSU) plays in internationalization at the U of S and of the USSU’s record of exceptional executive student leadership.
December - Inbound
- Ambassador of Turkey to Canada – Delegates had lunch with President Stoicheff and Chancellor Romanow and met with faculty from the College of Agriculture and Bioresources after touring the Canadian Light Source.
- Al Rayan College, Saudi Arabia – Delegates met with the Dean, Vice Dean of Research and Vice Dean of Education of the College of Medicine. They also met with the Department Heads of Medicine and Anatomy & Cell Biology. The group also toured campus and the College of Medicine.
- Sichuan Vocational & Technical College of Communications, China – Delegates met with faculty members in the College of Engineering and Saskatchewan Centre of Excellence for Transportation and Infrastructure. A campus tour was conducted.