- Nutritional epidemiology with emphasis on nutrition-related non-communicable diseases
- Community-based health promotion
- Public health nutrition
- Nutritional assessment
- Analysis of complex health survey data
- Nutrition and health status of immigrant and refugee population
- Dietary intakes of Canadians, with emphasis on beverage intakes and risk of obesity and chronic conditions, and impact of beverage intakes on bone-building nutrients such as vitamin D and calcium
- Evaluating the effect of nutrition and physical activity on bone and blood lipid profile in postmenopausal women
- Evaluating the impact of socio-economic and cultural factors on food insecurity in immigrants and refugees both nationally and internationally
- Immigrant health and nutrition
- Vitamin D and disease activity in inflammatory bowel diseases
- NUTR 811.3 - Advances in Public Health Nutrition
- PUBH 803.3 - Health Promotion
- NUTR 350.3 - Community Nutrition
- NUTR 305.3 - Food, Culture and Human Nutrition
Recent grants and awards
- Vatanparast H et al. The impact of socio-economic and cultural factors on household food insecurity of refugees: a comparative study of Afghan refugees resided in Iran and Canada. Social Sciences and Humanities Research Council, Partnership Development Grant, March 2012 to 2014.
- Vatanparast H. Nutritional Health of Immigrant and Refugee Children in Regina. Ministry of Advanced Education, Employment and Immigration. March 2012-March 2014.
- Hoover J, Uswak G, Vatanparast H, Zerehgar A. Oral health status of recent immigrant/refugee children in Saskatchewan, Canada. College of Dentistry, University of Saskatchewan. June 2012-September 2013.
- Black J, Chapman E, Vatanparast H, Carten S, Rojas A. What Shapes Food Practices on School Days? Examining the Food Environment In and Around Secondary Schools. Canadian Institute of Health Research, September 2011-September 2014.
- Vatanparast H. Nutrition and health issues among recent immigrant and refugee children in Saskatoon, Saskatchewan. Saskatchewan Health Research Foundation. September 2010-September 2012
- Vatanparast H, Henry C. Link: Healthy Food-Healthy Newcomer Family, Government of Saskatchewan, Ministry of Advanced Education, Employment and Immigration. March 2011-March 2012
- Henry C, Vatanparast H, Whiting S, Zello G; Chocolate Milk: Contributions to Overall Nutrient Intake for School-aged Children, Dairy Farmers of Canada, May 2011-May 2012.
- Vatanparast H. Our responsibility: healthy welcoming community for newcomer children, CIHR Café Scientifique Program, September 2011.
Yang PH, Black JL, Barr SI, Vatanparast H. Examining differences in nutrient intake and dietary quality on weekdays versus weekend days in Canada. Appl Physiol Nutr Metab. 2014 Dec;39(12):1413-7. doi: 10.1139/apnm-2014-0110. Epub 2014 Oct 28.PMID: 25350458 [PubMed - in process]
Duckham R, Baxter-Jones A, Johnston J, Vatanparast H, Cooper D, Kontulainen S. Does physical activity in adolescence have site and sex specific benefits on young adult bone size, content and estimated strength? J Bone Miner Res. 2013 Aug 1. doi: 10.1002/jbmr.2055.
Sabbagh Z, Markland J, Vatanparast H. Vitamin D status is associated with disease activity among rheumatology outpatients. Nutrients. 2013 Jun 26;5(7):2268-75. doi: 10.3390/nu5072268.
Setayeshgar S, Whiting SJ, Vatanparast H. Prevalence of 10-year risk of cardiovascular diseases and associated risks in Canadian adults: the contribution of cardiometabolic risk assessment introduction. Int J Hypertens. 2013;2013:276564.
Vatanparast H, Nisbet C, Gushulak B. Vitamin D insufficiency and bone mineral status in a population of newcomer children in Canada. Nutrients. 2013 May 14;5(5):1561-72. doi: 10.3390/nu5051561.
Setayeshgar S., Whiting, S. J., Vatanparast H (2012). Metabolic Syndrome in Canadian Adults and Adolescents: Prevalence and Associated Dietary Intake. Published in ISRN Obesity Vol. 2013.
Chilibeck PD, Vatanparast H, Pierson R, Case A, Olatunbosun O, Whiting SJ, Beck TJ, Pahwa P, Biem HJ. Effect of exercise training combined with isoflavone supplementation on bone and lipids in postmenopausal women: A randomized clinical trial. J Bone Miner Res. 2013 Apr;28(4):780-93. doi: 10.1002/jbmr.1815.